1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May I Have Your Attention Please!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 1953, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 #1 of 42

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Here's the deal. Current 20-700 dying. Have protection plan. CSR sends out a refurbished silver 20-700. Even though within policy I was nevertheless shocked by getting another 20-700! Called DTV Retention and politely rejected the replacement. Returned refurbished 20-700. Been with DTV since 1999. Retention CSR offered 'NEW' equipment if I would sign additional 2 year contract. I said 'yes'. Retention CSR asked if I was interested in Cinema Plus. I said 'yes'. Retention CSR arranged for a Tech to come out (I am disabled) to deliver and install a new HD-DVR Plus, new DVR Plus and Cinema Plus Connection Kit. All at zero cost!

Is it possible that I have been this lucky? Tell me what you think.

:eek2: Anxious in North Texas

2. Jun 6, 2011 #2 of 42
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    A HR20 is a HD-DVR Plus :) You will know you are lucky if the installer only has Hx24's on his truck. Otherwise I am thinking the installer will be unlucky.

3. Jun 6, 2011 #3 of 42
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Just because they said new doesn't mean it will be. If the tech has 20-700s on his truck you'll get another one.

4. Jun 7, 2011 #4 of 42

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    It will not be a good day for me.

(Please note that my original comments have been replaced by a more appropriate statement.)

5. Jun 7, 2011 #5 of 42
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Deceit and ignorance are two different things. Besides, what are you going to do, take it out on the installer??

But, you might get lucky.

You could also get a new HR22 or HR23. There's probably some new ones lying around somewhere.

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6 of 42
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Please take the time to read the first post in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=192112

There is no deceit and there are no promises as to what DVR you'll get.

Also keep in mind it's not the installers fault so don't lash out at him if you don't like what he brings you.

7. Jun 7, 2011 #7 of 42
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Considering there's only a 20% chance of getting another HR 20 it's probably safe to say he won't get one. The chance of it not being a refurb however is much lower than the 80% chance of not being a HR20.

I'm just waiting for him to wonder why the new one seems slower than his 20-700.

8. Jun 7, 2011 #8 of 42
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    OP, what I would do, when the installer calls before he comes out, is ASK him if he has an HR24 and H24 on his truck. TELL him you will only accept those. That will save him a trip at his expense, if you refuse the service call, and save you waiting around the house for it.

9. Jun 7, 2011 #9 of 42

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    No, I will not take it out on the installer. I will ask that he stay while a DTV Retention CSR is contacted in order to discuss the situation.

Please note that I have removed my earlier inappropriate remarks regarding it being a "bad day for the installer" and the reference to my "Post Traumatic Sress Disorder" (PTSD).

Regarding my PTSD.

I sincerely regret impling my PTSD could be an excuse to lash out at the installer or DTV.

After completing over 18 months of intensive therapy I am happy to report that I am doing much better. Many good people, both military and civilian suffer from this terrible disorder. It is not an aliment that is quickly cured yet I shall always strive toward that goal.

Thank you for your thought provoking comments.

Louis
    "Proud retired professional solider and civilian Logistican"

10. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    No deceit? If Directv trains the csrs properly, they should know that a particular model can't be guaranteed. If they do guarantee it, that sure sounds like either an incompetent csr or a lying csr.

11. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    After reading everyone's comments I must admit my faith in what I was told and would get took a noise dive. I just got off the phone with DTV Rention. During the conversation I received both good and bad news.

The good first. Yes, the equipment will be new yet a particular model is not guaranteed. In an attempt to soothe my fears the CSR sent a message to the Tech asking that I receive a model 24 series if at all possible.

The bad news. The Cinema Connection Kit scheduled for installer delivery is the hardwired version! With our HD-DVR downstairs and PC upstairs a wireless kit was requested and is absolutely needed. So today's CSR is sending out a wireless kit via Fedex. Since the install is scheduled for June 16 the wireless kit should arrive in time.

More bad news. An OTA component was not scheduled to be delivered so another call to DTV is underway as we speak. I'm on hold so hopefully this issue will be resolved.

I must again say thanks to all of you for keeping me on my toes. IMO, it is sad that we consumers are forced to constantly doubt that we are getting the products and services as promised. This story will not be over until the equipment is installed and running.

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The only "guaranteed" way of getting a new HR24 DVR is by going to Solidsignal and purchase one. Outside of that all bets are off and it's a luck of the draw. You'll get what's on the installer's truck. Good Luck.

13. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Or weaknees ...
    There are certain home grown AV resellers that are DTV resellers and *some* of them also have on hand inventory. I've one in the Portland area that I acquired 2 HR24-500s through and I noticed last time by they had restocked and had about 6 on hand. Still have some left over HR23-700s as well:(

I'm pretty well certain if I have a unit flop that I can get one within 24 hours through them but its cost is I have to pass by all those new toys:grin:

As to everyone's issues with getting an older unit as part of their initial lease price. They had one and were happy till it broke. Replacing it for like assuming it works *should* make them happy again. I don't get all the fuss.

I don't know of any other business model that allows you to use their product for several years and then ensures you the new upgraded version when it dies. DTV could but they'd have to raise the rates all the time oh umm:)

Don "never mind:sure:" Bolton

14. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    I now wish I Had gone your suggested route MysteryMan.

Another update.

The DTV CSR could not send me a OTA adapter so he suggested that I order one via the web from a third party company like Solidsignal. With that suggestion I asked to speak with a supervisor. After politely telling her the entire 5 phone call story plus how stressed I am over the whole mess she overrode the system and now has a new AM21 scheduled to arrive in two days.

Five phones, numerous CSR errors, stress and we're still not done. Next we see if the shipments arrive, the installer brings truly new receivers and does the install correctly. Time will tell!

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    When is the tech due to arrive?

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm just curious here... You had a HR20 and it failed so they sent you another HR20 as you use OTA. You didn't want an HR20 so you decided to gamble on a new one and in the meantime got them to send you an AM21 for free since the new DVR won't have the OTA tuner, correct?

- Merg

17. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    June 16 between 8 and 12.

18. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    I got the refurbished HR20-700 as a result of my product protection plan's replacement policy. I did not get that specific unit because I had a 20-700 nor because I also use OTA. As with all replacements one gets whatever the distribution center selects.

As shows in my account we have a totally separate off air antena. The outandind antennas are no longer sold by DTV. DTV does still service it as necessary since it has always been on our account and covered by our protection plan.

Since I qualified to receive new receivers DTV was obligated to provide a OTA adapter. Here in North Texas we are fortunate enough to pull in approximately 20+ over the air television stations. Due to our very volatile winds and weather an OTA antenna is a must.

Thank you for your question.

19. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Not necessarily. If you account notes you use the OTA capability they will do everything possible to replace your failed receiver with one that has that capability. Only the HR20 has that feature.

20. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX

Again goes to prove one can learn something new everyday here in this forum.