DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe a dedicated thread should be started?

2K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Earl Bonovich 
#1 ·
I'm probably going to be yelled for this. I'm kinda half serious . Maybe a "sticky" or a seprate "venting" or "ranting" thread could be started.

I don't mean to discount any of the problems folks are having w/ there HR20's. A seperate thread dedicated to just people that want to vent, rant, or just complain until their hearts content. Keeping it clean of course.

That way other members who are "tired" of it can just stay out of that thread knowing what's waiting inside. It's been brought up in passing in the past. Maybe it's time to seriously consider it. I don't mean to be sarcastic or sound belittling. Maybe the mods can decide or for heaven sakes a poll and take a vote.

Some may consider this idea a step backwards for this board. In some ways it is. I know that's not what this fourm is about, but it does seem to happen quite a bit lately. Many threads have gone down hill quickly.

But what the hey....Pretty soon the mods may have to start stepping up a show of authority. Which is probably the last thing they want to do.

#2 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
I don't mean to discount any of the problems folks are having w/ there HR20's. A seperate thread dedicated to just people that want to vent, rant, or just complain until their hearts content. Keeping it clean of course.
DSLReports/BroadbandReports.com has had separate rant/praise threads for a long time. Seems to work for them.

#3 ·
Not really in favor of this on a general principle, but the reality that a lot of threads get side-tracked by opinions to the quality of the system one way or the other, and it is hard to argue against it.

When someone has a thread about specific functionality, it does not help for it to turn into a debate as to whether the HR20 is a piece of shoes or a piece of cheese or any other piece. Conversely people praising it in non-related threads should be corralled as well.

If someone starts a discussion on adding a new sata drive to their box, a comment on how the HR20 is always dropping your OTA channels and cutting out the audio, is simply off-topic. So are the little asides quips and digs that take shots at the box.

#4 ·
marksman said:
Not really in favor of this on a general principle, but the reality that a lot of threads get side-tracked by opinions to the quality of the system one way or the other, and it is hard to argue against it.

When someone has a thread about specific functionality, it does not help for it to turn into a debate as to whether the HR20 is a piece of shoes or a piece of cheese or any other piece. Conversely people praising it in non-related threads should be corralled as well.

If someone starts a discussion on adding a new sata drive to their box, a comment on how the HR20 is always dropping your OTA channels and cutting out the audio, is simply off-topic. So are the little asides quips and digs that take shots at the box.
I absolutely agree. It is starting to get real frustrating when forum topics are getting hijacked by the folks who are having problems. :nono:

#5 ·
brittonx said:
I absolutely agree. It is starting to get real frustrating when forum topics are getting hijacked by the folks who are having problems. :nono:
I kind of agree with you to a point, but it is not just the people that are having problems that "hijack" threads. It is just as annoying to be reading though a thread where someone is trying to work out a problem and someone jumps in, "Well mine is working fine". Also a thread devoted to DLB and how people want them and you read, "I have never used them and I see no use for them." The there is the current thread where someone wated to start a praising thread, and the people with problems jumped in and started compaining.

I think that people need to start listening to others instead of being wrapped up in their own wants for the box, or the grips, or whatever and start trying to help each other.

I came to this forum to get help and to help other when I could. I have tried to keep a positive attitude, but it is difficult at times. It seems that you always have to choose sides. Am I a HR20 lover and not had any problems. No I have had problems. Am I a HR20 hater and think that this POS needs to go in the garbage? No, I think that they are working on it and I am willing to wait.

But I am getting tired of the wars and both sides are guilty. I don't know how much longer I am willing to stick around on this forum.

#6 ·
jclark said:
I kind of agree with you to a point, but it is not just the people that are having problems that "hijack" threads. It is just as annoying to be reading though a thread where someone is trying to work out a problem and someone jumps in, "Well mine is working fine".
That is a good point. If a topic starts as a discussion of a specific issue, those of us without issues should not interfere. As long at the people discussing the issues stick to facts and not over inflation of the number of users impacted.

#7 ·
brittonx said:
That is a good point. If a topic starts as a discussion of a specific issue, those of us without issues should not interfere. As long at the people discussing the issues stick to facts and not over inflation of the number of users impacted.
Why? Why do you care if they are accurate or not. They are venting. If it makes them feel better and it is confind to a thread that was started by someone venting. Who cares? If it makes them feel better let them say what every they want. You don't have to believe it.

But, if you are saying that someone is really looking for help with a problem. I say just let the ventor get their say out and leave it at that. When you confront someone that is already mad, it will only make them worse. Just let them have their say and move on.

#8 ·
jclark said:
Why? Why do you care if they are accurate or not. They are venting. If it makes them feel better and it is confind to a thread that was started by someone venting. Who cares? If it makes them feel better let them say what every they want. You don't have to believe it.

But, if you are saying that someone is really looking for help with a problem. I say just let the ventor get their say out and leave it at that. When you confront someone that is already mad, it will only make them worse. Just let them have their say and move on.
Why do I care:
It does a disservice to potential new users here who will likely not understand that some of the disgruntled users are over inflating the scope of the issues. For example, I almost didn't purchase the HR20 because at first-glance it looked like the majority of the units were having problems. Fortunately, in my case, I am a stickler for getting down to the real facts. I bought an HR20 and have been delighted with it. Others may not do enough research and could walk away assuming the "vast majority" of units are bad.

I would also expect that people post dissenting opinions in a forum topic where someone was claiming that none of the units were having problems as well.

#9 ·
brittonx said:
I'm as guilty as anyone for saying I'm not having the problem, and I agree I should probably stay quiet. Partly the motivation is to show the problem isn't universal and sometimes it's just because the POS inclination just drives me to say "whoa".

But I have to agree the off topic rants (or raves) aren't helpful and get old very fast, so I'd support venting (or praising) threads.

I think that if someone spends enough time in these forums, they can begin to see some of the balance and recognize the rants, but I feel for the newcomer who makes the wrong decision based on a POS rant. I also think that, despite whatever barriers there are, everyone with a real ***** has ways to obtain restitution (and I hope I didn't start another rant with that -- heard it already.

#10 ·
brittonx said:
Why do I care:
It does a disservice to potential new users here who will likely not understand that some of the disgruntled users are over inflating the scope of the issues. For example, I almost didn't purchase the HR20 because at first-glance it looked like the majority of the units were having problems. Fortunately, in my case, I am a stickler for getting down to the real facts. I bought an HR20 and have been delighted with it. Others may not do enough research and could walk away assuming the "vast majority" of units are bad.

I would also expect that people post dissenting opinions in a forum topic where someone was claiming that none of the units were having problems as well.
Well, I am glad that you got one and are happy with it, but when I research a new product that I am interested in, I realize that the people having problems with it are the most vocal and take that into consideration. I guess I am in the minority. :D

#11 ·
richlife said:
I'm as guilty as anyone for saying I'm not having the problem, and I agree I should probably stay quiet. Partly the motivation is to show the problem isn't universal and sometimes it's just because the POS inclination just drives me to say "whoa".

But I have to agree the off topic rants (or raves) aren't helpful and get old very fast, so I'd support venting (or praising) threads.

I think that if someone spends enough time in these forums, they can begin to see some of the balance and recognize the rants, but I feel for the newcomer who makes the wrong decision based on a POS rant. I also think that, despite whatever barriers there are, everyone with a real ***** has ways to obtain restitution (and I hope I didn't start another rant with that -- heard it already.
I am sorry if I implied that I thought that people who are happy with it should stay quiet. That is not my intention at all. I agree that if only the people that have problems speak, then it looks like the whole thing is flawed. I just think that people should be considerate of others and let them have their say. It is just so polarized here it is not fun anymore.

#13 ·
jclark said:
Oh, and thanks guys! I am just venting on this thread so you can take it with a grain of salt. Not about the HR20, but about the way things are going on this board. Maybe I have just had a bad day.

Have a good one!
Jim
Jim,
You made some good points here. No need to apologize ;)

#15 ·
brittonx said:
Jim,
You made some good points here. No need to apologize ;)
I agree. I knew this was a vent-type thread (and I agree that I'm tired of the vents destroying the "thread" of a thread) and chose to participate. I think it was worth the time.

#17 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
Well, if it ever turns out there is a venting thread created then I guess there should be a "We love it" thread as well.
There's been a few threads on this here and there and each time they get good responses. The only problem I see, usually, is that people tend to forget they are venting about something and start to attack each other. It wasn't long ago that someone was upset they didn't get the information on the "Santa" update and people just started blasting away. Opinions and questions and venting are all part of the learning process, there can be some good constructive criticism out there... Just remember not to make it personal.:)

#18 ·
Coffey77 said:
There's been a few threads on this here and there and each time they get good responses. The only problem I see, usually, is that people tend to forget they are venting about something and start to attack each other. It wasn't long ago that someone was upset they didn't get the information on the "Santa" update and people just started blasting away. Opinions and questions and venting are all part of the learning process, there can be some good constructive criticism out there... Just remember not to make it personal.:)
Well said!

#19 ·
Maybe when a "rant" or POS thread is started a mod can immediatly move it to a/the "Blow Off Some Steam" - sticky thread. Heck, I don't know. I certainly don't have the answers. The drama on this site (DirecTV side) sometimes would be good for day time TV though.:grin:

#21 ·
We have had the debate many times.

About having a "dedicated" area to Vent, or a dedicated thread.

But in the 6+ years that I have been living in forum land..
I have never seen the benefit of such a sub-section, or "dedicated/titled" thread.

Even here... the "rants" usually do stay in a "handfull" of threads.
And we try as Mods to keep things in check... but the other forum members do play a part in fueling and controlling.

Right now.. I don't think we are at a point, in the "lifecycle" of the product, or the "lifecycle" of the forum... to go there yet.

We don't want DBSTalk to become a "*****fest"....
That is not the goal for DBSTalk.

And I can promise you that, when the next release comes around.
There will be a little more "moderation" in to two core threads for the release.

To keep it on track, and to bring it back to it's original purpose.
To provide that "critical" piece of feedback, information to get the HR20 to be what we all want it to be (Well at least most of us).

DBSTalk at least the DirecTV forums are still in their infancy... they are still fragil. So maybe "we" mods do need to start doing a little more hand slapping.

Time will tell.

#22 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
Maybe when a "rant" or POS thread is started a mod can immediatly move it to a/the "Blow Off Some Steam" - sticky thread. Heck, I don't know. I certainly don't have the answers. The drama on this site (DirecTV side) sometimes would be good for day time TV though.:grin:
Thats why I got a dvr! so I could watch something else :lol:

#24 ·
Well Master, I mean Earl;) , I haven't frequented forums for 6 years so I wouldn't know. It was just a thought. It really would be a shame if it came to having dedicated threads for this little "problem". I really only suggested it to get some discussion on it, as did houskamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.