1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe I'm just dense... sports recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mr.72, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    OK, so I read all of the threads about making sports team recordings.

I thought it would be super simple. I did a search for my team name "Spurs". I set it to autorecord. It adds nothing to the To-Do List even though there is a game tomorrow.

The guide shows the game tomorrow. If I go into Smart Search and start typing "Spurs" then the game shows up as type "show". I can add it to the list to record from there. It still doesn't show up on the to-do list.

I added the game to record from the web guide. It still isn't in the to-do list.

On my Dish VP622, I had a timer for "Spurs" and it would absolutely record every game without fail. Rarely some other show would pop up with the word "Spurs" in the description and I'd have to delete it. Maybe once or twice a year. So this strategy is known to work on another vendor's DVR.

What's the trick? What am I doing wrong?

2. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    Sorry no one has helped you yet on this. It SHOULD be that easy to autorecord. Perhaps your DVR/account does not have your RSN (in your case, FS SW/Spurs?) in "Channels I Get". You might call DirecTV to confirm that. I am assuming that Austin is in the San Antonio NBA claimed territory, and not the Rockets or the Mavericks (they probably overlap?). This is all I can think of.

When I autorecord Royals games (which appear on 672-1 FSKCHD) I include CCHAN 671 672 in the search string, which points the DVR to record only on those channels.

3. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    The to-do list takes a while to populate. So, your autorecord could be working correctly. One way to find out is to do a smartsearch on "Spurs". You will probalby see a list of games, along with the red "Record" symbol next to them.

BTW, my VIP 722 consistently failed at recording New York Islander games. I had lots of 7 hour blank recordings labeled "Upcoming game."

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Sometimes you have to Patient to allow the TODO List to be populated but I always use the Smart Search Function to find my Shows and then I Manually go from there to Record them because sometimes the AutoRecord Fails To Record as it should.

5. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    OK thanks, guys. I think it is sort of working. It recorded the Spurs game last night.

The search I created is something like "SPURS NNOT POST PREVIEW INSIDER" without channel restrictions. Once NBATV stops airing "Spurs Team Preview" five times a day I'll change it to eliminate the "NNOT PREVIEW".

I think it might work with more precision if I restricted the channels. But last night's game was on Fox Sports Indiana... which I presume will be a rare, but occasional, occurrence. But it appears that on D* the remote RSNs are actually in the guide all the time and the games might just play there, while on E* it used to just have a channel pop up out of nowhere when an out-of-market RSN had it.

Mostly I was confused as to the behavior where the TO-DO list didn't show anything coming up. But it eventually did start showing some things coming up and it recorded last night's game without a problem.

And I might add, the Spurs won. The Heat lost their opener. Season's off to a great start :)

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If you just want games, the keyword "events" should get the job done for you. You might want to try this search:

AALL spurs events

For those that may not be aware, AALL means only match shows where all the following words are present in the show's info.

7. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Frankly, I'd rather get some things I don't want rather than miss a game because the guide data is inaccurate.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Up to you, but "events" is the keyword of choice for DBSTalker's like Inkahauts. I mention him specifically, because he's been experimenting with the best sports autorecord techniques for a while.

I don't get these channels, but an even simpler search I just ran, spurs & Show Types, Events, only found only Spurs games against the Hornets, Clippers, Suns and Bobcats, through 11/8.

9. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Alright.

So my original search worked, and recorded the game on Weds.

But it also recorded something I didn't want, and I decided to replace it with these two:

AALL SPURS EVENTS CCHAN 002 307

AALL SPURS EVENTS CCHAN 600 699

Now, these searches produce the right results, but there is nothing in the to-do list. If they are not in the to-do list, are they going to record? I guess that's what really is bugging me. There's a game tomorrow and the search is getting it but it's not in the to-do list so I get the impression it is not going to record it...

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    AUTORECORDS are flaky this way. They often do not populate the TDL, but record anyway.

The HR's apparently have both "long-term" and "short-term" scheduling routines, and the latter seems to catch the AUTORECORDS in the nick of time. It's not the way it should work, and many of us have been complaining about it for ages.

I'm curious if you tried the simpler search, spurs & Show Types, Events. By this I mean just do a RED button search for "spurs" and then select Show Types and Events on the next screen. I've found that the less "boolean" you use, the sooner searches sometimes appear in the TDL.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    He should add Sports & Basketball as filters after his search words, and then he will not have issues.. so...

AALL SPURS EVENTS CCHAN 002 307 & Sports & Basketball

AALL SPURS EVENTS CCHAN 600 699 & Sports & Basketball

However, I have looked up what channels they are on, and here is what I would use...

AALL SPURS EVENTS CCHAN 2 69 & Sports & Basketball
    AALL SPURS EVENTS CCHAN 676 677 & Sports & Basketball
    AALL SPURS EVENTS CCHAN 200 307 & Sports & Basketball

I'd do it that way so I got my local commentators when possible over the espn/national ones ones...

12. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I tried that, it just doesn't cut it for me.. I have found that believe it or not, there are other programs that are events with my team names in them that are not games! Its better to use events in the actual search terms, and then use sports and basketball for the filtering (or whatever sport it is). Thats the no miss way I have found...

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    IGNORE the to do list! Ignore IT!!!! It might not be set to record though if its too low on the priority list and you have multiple other things set to record at the same time. That you may want to check. :)

Otherwise, wait till the game is actually starting and see if it records.. I'll bet it does, even if it NEVER shows up in the to do list.

14. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    Well, heck. If I was at home when the game actually started I would not need a DVR to begin with.

Let's chalk this up to a MAJOR difference in DirecTV and Dish. My old 622 would show you precisely, exactly, and accurately what it was going to record, what it was going to skip, and why.

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    As did the older DirecTiVO's. It's the reason for this HR2x Wish List request, which in itself is a work-around that shouldn't be necessary in the first place, IMHO:

An "UPDATE NOW" option to immediately populate the TO DO LIST with all matching programs in the GUIDE, after scheduling a SL, AUTORECORD, re-ordering the SERIES MANAGER, or otherwise freeing up recording slots.