1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe it IS Comcastic?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by jckelsey, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jckelsey

jckelsey Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    So I just upgraded my Dish service to HD. Had to add a 2nd dish on to my house....which I wasn't too exicted about, but ok.

So I've been comparing channels and prices with my buddy who is on Comcast (formerly Adelphia). Our channel selection is pretty close, and price is pretty close....but he's got local HD channels and I dont, which sucks. After reading a few threads, it seems everybody is in the same boat waiting for local HDs. I'm in western PA area.

I see its possible to do an OTA antenna for local HDs, not sure if that would work for me or not. The last thing I want to do is mount a big antenna on my roof to go along with my lovely 2 satellite dishes.

So I guess my point is that it seems like Dish isn't giving me any value over what Comcast offers in my area. Or am I missing something?

Thanks all !!

2. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    being from PA also, i feel your pain, I have HD with Dish now, and no HD locals, with none expected anytime soon, I am however, going to Direct tv, had comcast long time ago, and will never go back, once they get ya in your screwed and those prices will skyrocket

3. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    You have to decide for yourself whether Comcast or Dish's channel lineups meet
    your particular viewing tastes.

You can go to antennaweb.org, put your zip code in, and see if how far away you
    are from the OTA signal. When I purchased my first HD TV about four years ago,
    Dish did not provide local channels HD. Cable provided some of the local channels.
    So I had both Dish and cable. But I also put up an antenna to receive the channels
    that I could not get from cable (channel 57 for Phillies HD games and channel 11 for Mets HD games, Fox 29 for eagles HD games, etc). I still use the antenna today to record all the network (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) shows in HD that I watch, and I do not sub to Dish locals. I am about 40 miles from the NY and Phila signals. OTA works fine with the right antenna and a pre amp at this distance. When the digital change over happens in 2/09, and the OTA digital signals will
    be much stronger and very easy to pick up.

4. elbodude

elbodude Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    The Comcast DVR is junk.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    OTA will give you best picture quality, plus you don't have to pay anything extra for them as far as fees are concerned. Both the 622 and 722 already have the tuner for them built in. It is a no brainer if you ask me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.