1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe New HD Channels Jan. 26th !!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by onebigjedi, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onebigjedi

onebigjedi New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I was just watching GOD TV and they had a scroll at the bottom of the screen saying, " GOD TV will be moving to a new satellite on Jan 26th and you must upgrade your receiver to an HD one by then in order to see GOD TV."

While this channel might not excite some of you, this could mean that there maybe several other changes and when they will take place.

No proof yet, but I have heard that TBN HD is suppose to light up soon. It could be on the same day.

So let's see what the Jan 26th has in store!!!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  3. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    For those who are more technical in nature....Why?

4. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    That's strange. I understand they're moving it to one of the Ka birds, and that will require an "advanced" receiver, but why charge HD access for that? The increased lease fee for the new receiver should cover the cost of the equipment. How is it any different from the LiL situation where SD locals are being broadcast on these satellites? Those customers don't have to pay for HD access.

Note, I don't watch GOD TV, and I do have HD access. It just seems wildly inconsistent to me.

5. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    Basically they are moving GodTv to an HD satellite. Probably costs them little in terms of bandwidth versus an HD channel.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Free Speech TV is also on a KA satellite, but is a SD channel. I see them moving several low viewership SD channels onto one mpeg4 transponder in the future, especially those channels paying DirecTv for carriage. It will free up a lot of room, and allow the SD channel the bandwidth it needs to be watchable.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    HD Access is generally a condition of having HD equipment (unless your local channels are MPEG4 only).

DIRECTV has run out of room at 101W so they are moving some channels off to other slots (99W and 103W). These slots require HD equipment to receive so, by extension, that's where the HD Access comes in.

I expect more of this as time goes on.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It has more to do with the frequencies and new modulation schemes than it does with encoding scheme. There's no law that says they can't mix compression schemes (though it would be stupid to do so).

The fact that these channels pay for carriage is precisely why they shouldn't be doing this. If the channels find that their reach is substantially reduced by such a move, they'd be inclined to pay less.

9. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stoutman
    For those who are more technical in nature....Why?
    HD Access is generally a condition of having HD equipment (unless your local channels are MPEG4 only).

DIRECTV has run out of room at 101W so they are moving some channels off to other slots (99W and 103W). These slots require HD equipment to receive so, by extension, that's where the HD Access comes in.

I expect more of this as time goes on.

Thx:)

10. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    All part of the process to ween customers off the old equipment and transistion everything to mpeg 4. Of course it will take at least a decade or more to do it, but it is a start. In 10 years HD will be the standard and hopefully competition will require satellite and cable suppliers to provide the HD without an additoinal fee (which is already happening). All the redundant SD channels will fade away. But it will be a long fade.

11. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I've always wondered that it might be a great idea to do high res SD for those key channels that they can't easily negotiate HD carriage. I wonder if this might enable that.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I am all for that. Better watchable DVD resolution than nothing.

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    What is GOD TV? Preachers & stuff? Sounds like bandwith waste to me.

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=GodTV

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The first step to this will be to stop issuing new MPEG2-only receivers.

Once Directv can transmit everything in MPEG4 (and eliminate SD duplicates) there will be a significant gain in available bandwidth for more HD and less compressed SD.

16. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I'll believe it when I see it. If all we get is God TV HD in January, it will be a big disappointment to many D* customers. I know that many of us want AMC HD, BBC America HD, History Int'l HD, etc.

17. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Actually God TV will still be in SD, not HD, just will require HD access. Will that disappoint even more customers?

18. onebigjedi

onebigjedi New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    There has not been very much, if any, movement with DTV lately. This movement, which is good news for us Christians, may mean that they maybe adding some other channels too. They have also been doing work on the DNS channels. This tells me that something is up.

Do be soon negative!

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I dont see how, other than requiring a receiver upgrade and new two year commit, they usually offer the HD access free for signing up to autobillpay anyway, so I doubt the customer will be out any money. If they are, they can always buy a $100 FTA system and watch it for free.

20. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    So you are claiming that they couldn't put a channel on 99 or 103 in sd and not have it in the hd access?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.