1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

MDU: 168 units is not enough?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by CDJohnson25, Mar 14, 2013.

1. CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25 Mentor

Nov 4, 2007
    On a long...
    Does anyone on here work for or deal with new MDU service? And, does it typically take 11 months to get rejected?:confused: (It usually takes only one date for me... LOL) Today, I received the following canned letter:

Dear CHRIS,

Thank you for your interest in providing DIRECTV services to your residents. We processed your application and (at this time) are not able to offer the single dish solution at the requested location. However, residents can still enjoy the full benefits of DIRECTV by contacting 800.531.5000.

We appreciate your interest in DIRECTV.

Property Name: ********************
    Property Lead submitted on: 04/19/2012 13:19:26

Sincerely,

MDU Sales Lead Coordinator
    MDULeadsCoor@DIRECTV.com

This communication is the property of DIRECTV and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.​

11 months? really? /sigh

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    :facepalm:

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    "residents" ??

so are we talking about a senior facility? There would be other options.

4. woodybeetle

woodybeetle Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Are you trying to set up the complete property or just one unit? Pm me for more info please

5. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Soo...are you the property owner/manager? Did you make contact thru DTV direct?

Have you tryed going thru a commerical provider for setuping this up?

Try contacting Multibandusa.com.

I have dealt with for years and they are great.

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    DirecTV is not enamored with senior living communities. Their residents tend to be low end customers and have high maintenance. I still service a couple of single-satellite "round dish" systems I installed a decade ago. I had one resident call me at 2:30 AM to tell me that she had forgotten how to use her remote control and was hoping I could help her with it.

Back when a person could buy a Sony B50 at Circuit City for $50 and there was no significant commitment by DirecTV to the customer or vice versa, putting in your own multiswitch system was practical, but DirecTV did get a lot of ill will from systems that were installed on the cheap and then not maintained.

A few years ago, DirecTV would pass along MDU sales leads that the big system operators determined weren't worth their while to pursue. One dealer passed them on to me to scout out, but we never made a deal with any. The "big boys" passed on them because they didn't appear to be profitable for them, but their costs are lower than ours, so of course they wouldn't be profitable for us, either.

I maintained a dual, stacked trunkline system at a 170 unit upscale condominium back when DirecTV only had half a dozen HDTV channels and used 110 and 119, and my customers there were all gazillionaires and I could charge $500 to $1,000 for a custom installation, but when they wanted me to update them to SWM, even though they agreed to pay me a lot of money for a backbone, I decided that there were just too many ways that I would wind up with responsibilities to the customers that I wasn't willing to meet, so I withdrew my proposal, and they never found a dealer who would register them as an MDU property even though they owned their own home-run wiring.

7. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    If the OP is inquiring for an elder care facility, Senior TV will handle everything about the design and install.

I maintain one of their installs and it has worked FAR better than I thought it would when I first heard about it.

The Senior TV system was compatible with both wings of the facility, one had single wire pulled from head to every bed, and other wing had trunk distribution wiring. Everything works fine.