1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDU Installation - Can I run a SWM16 from MDU SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by esbenson, May 26, 2011.

1. esbenson

esbenson New Member

May 26, 2011
    I just moved from an area where I had my own dish to one serviced by an MDU. I have 4 HD DVRs and I HD Receiver, so I had a SWM16 connected to my dish. At the new location, I was told this would be fine. However, when the installer came out, he stated that they could only run 8 tuners from the SWM they had installed. There were 4 of these SWM units, one for each of four townhomes.

I called back and they will be sending another tech out. So I am better prepared for the next tech - is it possible to cascade my SWM16 from their SWM so that I can get all of my receivers active and keep my whole home access among all of them?

2. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    No. You can't cascade SWMs.

3. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    if they're running 4 SWiM8 modules, it might be as easy as replacing the SWiM8 running your unit with your SWiM16 (if you still have it). On the other hand, if they're using a SWiM32, which is basically 4 SWiM8's lumped into 1 unit, that won't be possible. I'm not too familiar with MDU installations, but in the case of the SWiM32 it should have 4 inputs coming from a KaKu dish, IIRC those lines could be split using 2-2100Mhz power passing splitters, matching each of the outputs from each splitter to the inputs of both the SWiM32 and your SWiM16. I might be wrong as I've never played with a 32, and it may have different requirements. But if it operates like any other Directv switch, that should do it.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're on the right track, but to get full use out of the SWiM-16, there would need to be two coax runs to the apt.

5. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    You need to contact your Apartment office since it is a MDU.

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    :lol: I knew I was forgetting something. Then this will turn into another "How the hell do I get another coax into my apartment" thread.

7. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Yup that's likely to be the biggest problem. There are lots of different possible ways he could get 1 more tuner if they are willing to work with him, especially if he has a SWiM16 but that extra cable requirement is going to be true for all of them. The only way to avoid needing a second cable would be to use 1 less tuner by setting one of the DVR's to single tuner mode.

8. esbenson

esbenson New Member

May 26, 2011
    Thanks all. I will see if I can get a second run (Not too likely I'd imagine...) or switch 1 dvr to single tuner mode. I assume that is an option in the setup menu.

Also, I want to have the internet connection through the cinema connection kit - does that count as a tuner or can that be wired along with the 8 active tuners?

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "nope", DECA has no interaction with SWiM.

10. Walter Lawrence

Walter Lawrence New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    As a MDU dealer I can tell you that you will need to get in contact with your properties manager. They will be able to put you in contact with your properties assigned DirecTV retailer.

Your property will most likely have a service agreement set up with the dealer to service all new customers at the property. Any additional work such as running a new line for your swm16 switch will usually be billed to the customer, but at a discounted rate.

Keep in mind in a registered MDU property the only techs allowed to work on the DTV system are the ones from your assigned dealer. This is to protect you and the building owner.

Who knows you might even live in one the properties my company covers.

11. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I'd have to look but I believe it is in the sat setup someplace. Personally I'm sitting at a massive 3 tuners so haven't needed it =)