1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDU Third Party Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dylanb02, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 #1 of 23
    dylanb02

dylanb02 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    I recently moved into an apartment building that deals w/ a DirecTV third part, Discernity, and am in a bit of a complicated situation and looking for suggestions.

My roommate lived in the building before, in a different apartment.

We were able to plug his DirecTV box in at the new place and it seemed to work just fine. That was only an SD box, so we ordered an HD box directly from DirecTV to add-on.

Now we have the box and we are trying to install it, ideally without paying Discernity to do it. Is this possible? Right now I'm going through the different satellites and have been able to get SD signal through the box but not HD?

Any idea what I need to do? Is there any information I can pull off of the other box that would help? Are the SD and HD signals on different satellites? Thanks guys.

2. Jun 7, 2011 #2 of 23
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You're likely in a situation where the building only has a smaller dish pointing at the 101° sat location. If that is the case, then only SD will come in (and possibly not locals depending on your location).

The HD sats are 99° and 103° and require a slightly larger dish as well as a different kind of LNB (actually 3 LNBs in the same housing).

Your best bet may be to tell the MDU installer that you have a receiver and need to get it hooked up properly. They can likely help you but yeah, it might not be free.

3. Jun 7, 2011 #3 of 23
    dylanb02

dylanb02 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    So essentially... I'm out of luck if I want to try to do it myself? Local channels do seem to work.

4. Jun 7, 2011 #4 of 23
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It all depends on the building equipment. If you don't have the right dish/switch, etc. available, you can't do much about that. You may be able to erect a dish of your own but even then there are not guarantees as certain rules need to be met .. additionally, if the building IS providing you with a proper DIRECTV signal you may not even be allowed to put up a (DIRECTV) dish, period.

5. Jun 7, 2011 #5 of 23
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    If you only have a dish that is capable of receiveing SD you may want to see if the other tennants are interested in HD, it may be the nudge the building owner needs to make the switch or it may be cheap enough for everyone to split the costs. (With the owners consent of course.)

6. Jun 7, 2011 #6 of 23
    dylanb02

dylanb02 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    I am pretty sure that the building... I just don't know how to set it up I believe. I was under the impression that there were two dishes here.

7. Jun 7, 2011 #7 of 23
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    MDU installs are complicated and custom, and in most cases require involvement of the MDU to get enough connections and of the proper type. It isn't that you don't know what to do, it's that there's nothing you CAN do without contacting the MDU.

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 23
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Just out of curiosity, what model HD receiver are you trying to hook up? Are you using BBCs (little black boxes that hook inline with the coaxial cable)?

9. Jun 8, 2011 #9 of 23
    rocket69

rocket69 AllStar

Oct 26, 2008
    your mdu could have hd if it was set up in the last 5 years but would required the BBC. If it was done in the last 2 years it could be a swm setup.
    If the mdu did not set up the unit you moved to and moved the account they could cut your feed at any time as i know we do for our buildings.

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Possibly, but even without I think some of the HD would work.

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I don't know what HD channels would or wouldn't work, but if he only checked a few HD channels he might have just missed the ones that would.

If he isn't using a H23 or HR23 I would definitely think that adding BBCs would be a good troubleshooting step though don't you?

Also he needs to check and make sure he has the receiver set up for the correct dish type (Slimline 3, Slimline 5, etc) but without being able to actually see the dish I'm not sure how he could figure that out?

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    A good troubleshooting step would be to go up on the roof and identify the dish type.

Sine qua non!

Joe

13. dylanb02

dylanb02 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Nope.

We just plugged in my roommate's box from his old unit (downstairs) and it worked. That was the SD box. The new box is an H21 unit.

When I plug it in the satellite setup comes up and SWM is locked in as one of the options that I can change.

14. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If it is locked to SWM then it should be on a SWM system and you should not need BBCs installed. Are you sure they have turned on HD access for his account, and have you tried resending authorization to the receiver?

Could you post your signal levels for the different Sats. Specifically 99, 101, and 103 (you might also have 110 and 119, but not necessarily and we don't really need those).

15. dylanb02

dylanb02 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    I went up to the roof to check it out and I actually see four different dishes. Any idea to tell which is the one I want and what kind it is?

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think the first thing to look for would be where does the wire come up from the unit your in. It might be impossible to tell. I suspect when it all comes down to it you'll need to get the MDU installer involved because even if you know which dish, you don't really know what's set up past that point.

Actually, one thing you could do is take a picture of all four dishes. If they're all "the wrong" kind, then you'll know for sure that you have a problem that will involve getting a new dish. It won't matter which one you connect to if they are all wrong.

17. dylanb02

dylanb02 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Update: Set it to one of the SWM Slimline options (3 I think) and advanced through the config error screen and it seems to work. Guess that'll do.

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If it works, Great! Things may work fine forever but I wonder how many tuners are on that SWiM connection coming from the roof. If it's split solely for your unit, you'll have up to 8, but if it's shared across tenants, then you may actually be overloading the whole system. There's not really a good way to know ...

If you have overloaded the system, then the MDU operator may end up hunting you down anyway. If it's all good, then you should be all set.

19. dylanb02

dylanb02 New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    So in a hypothetical world, if my connection was somehow unhooked, what error would I see on the box? Suddenly I'm getting 771A errors, I'm thinking that's a bad thing :)

20. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    771A Means not enough power getting to SWM..