1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Me TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by zudy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. zudy

zudy Legend

Jul 22, 2009
    This is a new station here in Orlando and I was just woundering if DTV will be getting it on there local's

2. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    No. It's a subchannel and DirecTV doesn't carry subchannels.

3. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    That has been requiring an act of congress to get done lately. The Phoenix DMA is missing several OTA channels, let alone sub-channels. In fact, I lost several OTA channels That I had since 2006. KAZT added Me TV and moved RTV to 7.3. We've been complaining about 7.2 not coming in for about a year now. 7.3 has not been added yet.

4. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    MeTV is awesome! I watch it using my rooftop antenna.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    ME-TV is a service from Weigel Broadcasting Company in Chicago. It used to be a regional service only in Milwaukee, WI and Chicago. It recently went nationwide to compete with Antenna TV, THIS-TV and other startups designed to be carried on subchannels.

But ME-TV is also carried by full power OTA stations as their MAIN channel in some markets. Here in Milwaukee, it is carried on Channel 49 WBME-TV as 49.1. It is ALSO carried by DirecTV on the 101 as Milwaukee LIL 49.

In Chicago, ME-TV also is carried by a full-power station as it's primary signal. It is also carried by DirecTV on the 101 as a LIL.

The addition of ME-TV in Milwaukee to DirecTV was made possible when ION decided to let DirecTV carry their nationwide feed in any market. ION has a local full-power station in Milwaukee which was carried by DirecTV on the 101 as a LIL. When this change was made, DirecTV "translated" the LIL channel number to the nationwide ION East feed which opened up the bandwidth to carry ME-TV.

Note to newbies: LIL means "local in local" which is a local over the air TV station carried by DirecTV on one of it's satellites.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I believe that in Chicago, WWME (ME-TV flagship) is actually classified as a Class A low power station and not a full power station.
    The signal which DirecTV carries comes from WCIU (a full power station) but who carries ME-TV on 26.3.

There are a couple of Full power stations carrying ME-TV, they include:

KFTY - Santa Rosa, CA (50) - This station though has been sold (awaiting FCC approval) and will be changing to Azteca America.

KCSG - St. Georgia, Utah (14) - Effective (/5/2011

KVOS - Bellingham, WA (12)

WZMQ - Marquette, MI (19)

There are a couple of other full powers including one WTVW in Evansville, IN who carry use ME-TV to help fill blank spots in their schedule (WTVW uses around 20 hours of programming for late night TV)

7. djzack67

djzack67 Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    +1

8. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    is carried on DISH, Seattle DMA, on 35.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Oops. Wrong thread.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ... ,

Though I'm not sure what particular station the freed up bandwidth was used for in this market, the same arrangement is used here in the L.A. DMA where the ION west feed on ch. 347 is remapped to the ION network's local outlet station full power KPAX 30 in Rancho Cucamonga, CA., carried as an SD LiL on 101.

And I guess this accounts for why the program schedule listed for KPAX's OTA feed on ch. 30-1 via my AM21 confusingly differs in many places from the DIRECTV satellite delivered one credited to the same station.

Anyhow, ME TV is available here off-air on sub-channel 56-3 from local KDOC 56.

I enjoy it a lot as well ... :)

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Unless the sub-channels happen to carry network programming from the big four done in some small markets. Or by means of a strange (to me anyhow) rule where a PBS station can request one of its SD sub-channels be carried.

This is done for example in the L.A. market for PBS station KLCS 58 DT2 , carried on Ka-band/MPEG-4 at 103W.

12. killerko

killerko Cool Member

Jul 19, 2008
    5.2 in Cincinnati. Best looking sub channel I've ever seen. Catch myself surfing & stopping there a lot. Love the old Hawaii Five O episodes.

13. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    WBME (49.1) gets must carry no matter what as its a full power station. Its D*'s problem to find the bandwidth either way. Ion in some markets *is* the local version, in KC, for example, 50/KPXE is actually the 50.1 feed (I've seen the legal ID, it does indeed show KPXE)

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    KFTY sols? For more Azteca America?

15. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    We get MeTV on subchannel 2.2 here in metro Atlanta. It really is a great channel with a wide variety of choices.

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Sounds like someone needs an AM21.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    TVFool says that WESH is about 55 miles away and somewhat on the fringe.

Anyone from Orlando happen to know if 2.2 is listed?

18. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    If you really want it, and can put up a C-Band dish, it is ITC on AMC3. The picture quality is great on this feed, infect it and ThisTV can look as good (nearly) as someHD feeds. I wish that DirecTV's SD looked that good.

19. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I think the content maybe better than what some of the networks have with a few exceptions. Get a AM-21 and you are good to go.

20. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is no such thing as "must carry" regarding satellite TV providers-just cable TV (and I'm not so sure it even still exists for cable as evidenced by some major station owners having their stations removed from cable until agreements were signed.) In fact, it's quite the opposite. If the owner of the over-the-air station doesn't enter into an agreement, it can't be carried by DirecTV (or DISH for that matter).

Channel 49 was a full-power UHF station for years before Weigel bought it and changed it to "ME-TV"-and it was NEVER carried by DirecTV.

When I subscribed to DirecTV in 2000, only the ABC and NBC affiliates were carried. Finally, an agreement was reached to carry the CBS station (which coincidentally is also owned by WEIGEL BROADCASTING) and it was then carried by DirecTV.

Weigel was also the last major network station in Milwaukee to be carried in HD by DirecTV. Apparently, Weigel is a tough negotiator.