1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Center Tuner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by my1423, Nov 4, 2009.

1. my1423

my1423 Godfather

May 16, 2009
    Some time back there was a test program for a usb dual tuner hd tuner for your home media center pc. It was called the hdpc-20. I read that it was canceled back in 2008. Microsoft was involved in this project as well and included drivers for it in media center. Here is the engadget info page.
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/08/directvs-pc-tuner-is-real/

Is this back in development? Is there any new unit like this? I ask for I saw this article for a Dish unit and figured Directv would have to have some sort of competing unit for it.
    http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Dish-Network-Coming-to-a-Media-Center-PC-Near-You.shtml

2. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Sorry double post.

3. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

As I said in another thread I would like for DTV to do an internal HD DVR Tuner Card for Windows 7 and for the Playstation 3 and 4 when that comes out.

I wonder if maybe that is why they stopped the development of it because DTV decided to do an internal version?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The HDPC-20 *was* DirecTV's one and only attempt at a media center tuner, and it was abandoned largely due to Microsoft's unfortunate change in focus with Media Center, which was a huge mistake IMO, as the technologies were *just* about to come together to make it truly viable.

DirecTV's focus going forward is on their own "whole home DVR" rather than Media Center. :(

5. ramcm7

ramcm7 Legend

Aug 1, 2002
    Can we get some ADD meds for Microsoft to keep them focused? We have seen similar drops in focus with UltimateTV and MSN-TV (fka: WebTV). I am sure there are people more in tune to Redmond, Washington, but I get the impression they really want to be a software giant; they have some good ideas for media projects, but get bored/distracted; they have a pretty successful gaming platform, but at times appear to want it not to be as successful as it is. WTF?

6. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

What is Microsoft's new focus with Media Center? Are they just going with Cable? I read a rumor that Dish Network is doing a TV Tuner for Windows Media Center.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Both DirecTV and Dish were developing tuners for Windows Media Center, and both companies have dropped these projects. Microsoft has shifted their MC focus away from "traditional" TV and are moving towards more Internet-based TV options (NetFlix support, and anything else they can control or license) and downloaded media playback. As such, they are devoting fewer resources to the continued development of the TV portion of Media Center, and that announcement was enough to kill both projects.

You can read more over on http://thegreenbutton.com/.

8. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Thanks for the info. What about cable tuner cards for Windows 7 Media Center?

At the Windows 7 Debut Event it looked like Microsoft wants Windows 7 Media Center to be your main HD DVR. They showed it controlling alot of HDTV's at the same time.