1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Media Servers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dawgfan63, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1 of 12
    dawgfan63

dawgfan63 AllStar

Feb 24, 2006
    Just getting into the whole media server idea. I have installed Plex Media Server on my Windows PC and I am able to see content on both of my Direct receivers using the Media Share options. None of my videos play though and have the x beside them. I have read that Media Share only supports mpg2 so I converted a video to mp2 and it does in fact play although the program is not watchable.

I am thinking of getting a Chromecast or the new Roku Stick device supposedly to be released in April but would save the money if could get media share working. Are there other media servers better suited for Direct?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mar 7, 2014 #2 of 12
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Get something else, the Media Share feature on the DirecTV receivers s#cks! it won't let you do trick play and if you loose your place in the middle of a movie you must start from the beginning. Perhaps it may be good for pictures and short videos.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #3 of 12
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I recommend that you consider a dedicated media player that can handle the various formats you use natively. In this way, you don't need a media server, just a basic file server or better yet, a Network Attached Storage (NAS) system.

At its best, DIRECTV's Media Share initiative (much like Intel's Viiv that it was based on) died on the vine and spending money chasing down a competent server may never yield the results that you're looking for.

1 person likes this.
  4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    AppleTV is the way to go on this one. Chromcast is still in its infancy and Roku, last I heard, won't let you play your own media. Another option is to setup an XBMC client.

I agree with peds48, Media Share on the DirecTV hardware is junk and should be removed in lieu of something that actually works.

5. mreaves53

mreaves53 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Odenville, Al
    Agreed on the Medai Share on DirecTv. I use a WD TV Live. It will play just about any file format know to computerdom. It plays from my laptop, my laptop running many different media servers and from my Seagate Central NAS. It also has many services like Netflix built in.

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Roku has added a new video client but it only works with MKV video (supposedly it also handles MP4 but I haven't been able to get that to work). I have tried many things (not AppleTV yet) but WDTV Live works best for me.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    a Jailbroken Apple TV2 makes a great streaming box!

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    PLEX works with Roku to stream your files to Roku. It's kinda nice.

9. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Haven't tried it yet, but PLEX supposedly works with Chromecast as well now.

10. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I just tried Plex on my Roku. Having previously tried many media servers and clients, I am quite impressed. The server is supported on Windows, Linux, OS X and FreeBSD platforms. Setup takes a while but it is very configurable. In addition to my local video files, it did a good job with some PBS programming.

It seemed that the video quality wasn't quite as sharp as I had hoped, but my cataracts have been acting up recently (I'm seriously considering surgery) which probably explains it.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As soon as you can get insurance to cover it, do it. You're wasting valuable viewing time.

12. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I'll be talking to the doctor tomorrow. My Medicare Advantage policy will cover most of it, except for the prescription lens, I'll probably be out of pocket $1000 or so but it'll be worth it..