1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Media share icon keeps disappearing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by jiminycub, Sep 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jiminycub

jiminycub New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    I stream movies and music on my Directv system all the time. I recently got a new PC running windows 8. Everything seems to be set up properly but the mediashare icon constantly disappears. One day it is there and working and when I turn off the system the next time I turn it on the icon is gone. I have to reset the system 5 -6 times to get it back and it doesn't always work. I also run the PlayOn server to stream movies from Netflix. When the icon is present these systems all work fine but I just can't seem to figure out why the icon keeps disappearing. All Directv tech support can tell me is to reset the system. I have called them at least 30 times about this and that is all they ever say. Does anyone else have this issue and have any idea how I can fix it?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When the computer is OFF the icon goes away

3. jiminycub

jiminycub New Member

Sep 20, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    I never turn the computer off but it does go into sleep mode. Does the DVR interpret this the same way?

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Sleep mode kills it's online 'broadcasting' of available services. I leave all of our computers on all the time . . turning on and off causes more problems.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It will have to be on all the time for media share not to disappear...I'd bet your old PC didnt go into sleep mode.

6. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    I'll second (or third) what others have said, but I'll add another thought:

My computer does not go into sleep mode but once in a while I will lose Media Share - I fiind that bringing up PlayOn, stopping the server then restarting it takes care of the problem and that's a whole lot faster than miscellaneous resets.