1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

media share noob?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by neastguy, May 24, 2011.

1. neastguy

neastguy Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I just connect both of my hd recievers to my home network. they both say connected... where is the menu on the dvr to search out and try to find files on my windows xp pc? this is all new to me.. and directv doesn't really state how you do this... thanks

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Makre sure that you have a media server enabled for sharing on your PC. You can turn it on via Windows Media Player or you can use a third-party like TVersity or Orb.

- Merg

3. neastguy

neastguy Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    but how do I get to the pc once it is enabled via the dvr?

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Once a media server is turned on and set for sharing on the PC, an additional menu option will show up on the receiver. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after the server is enabled before the menu option shows up.

- Merg

5. neastguy

neastguy Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    thanks, will give it a shot tonight... still can't get youtube though? or tv apps.. so something aint right...

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Run your System Test and let us know what, if any, errors are listed. Also, what are the IP address of your receivers and how are they obtaining the IP address (automatically via DHCP, static IP address, etc.)?

- Merg

7. neastguy

neastguy Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    will do, Im at work right now... pretty sure both internet and network (i think that was the other listing) both said connected. I didn't manually enter and ip's so I would say its DHCP. Only error I saw when messing around was something with STB porting.. 301 error

8. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    I couldn't get it to work when I did it. Installed TVersity and everything worked just fine.

9. neastguy

neastguy Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I installed tversity, but it wont play any of my videos or youtube.. sees the files on the pc and youtube.. but it says cannot play this file.. same w/ youtube :(

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just be aware that MediaShare is not a great feature of the DirecTV receivers. There are many issues/bugs with it and as such it has always been in beta.

With regard to playing videos, you need to make sure that you have the right codecs installed in TVersity as well as making sure they are in the right format. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on that aspect so I'll defer to someone else.

When I used TVersity, I was never able to get the TVersity Channels to work. Pictures worked fine for me as well as some videos. Only music that I had ripped from my CD's worked as those from iTunes were not compatible.

As an FYI, you can access YouTube videos directly through the SmartSearch capability of the DirecTV receiver.

- Merg