1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Share on the computer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BubblePuppy, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1 of 26
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I don't know if this topic has been posted.
    I wish there was some way to access media share on the computer instead of from just the tv. I use MS alot and I would like to be able to turn the tv off and to able to access MS from the computer. Sure would save electricity.

2. Mar 2, 2009 #2 of 26
    DennisG

DennisG AllStar

Jan 15, 2008
    Maybe I am confused :confused:, but MediaShare lets you watch the stuff on your computer on the TV... why would you need MediaShare to work on your computer as the stuff is already there?

Could it be that you want to watch the stuff recorded on your HRxx DVR on the computer?

The program for that is DIRECTV2PC and is available from DirecTV at the following link:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4920044

There are also a couple of sticky threads above with more info.

3. Mar 2, 2009 #3 of 26
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Media Share is on the HR units, which allows for listening to the music that is stored on your computer, either through your tv or av system. DirectTV2pc is not the same thing.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #4 of 26
    DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    uhh, isnt that was DennisG just said?

5. Mar 2, 2009 #5 of 26
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    To access media share, you do it through the tv. I would like to have a version on the computer, so I don't have to have the tv on. I only use media share to listen to music, not view anything.

6. Mar 2, 2009 #6 of 26
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    you might be able to use the composite out of the dvr to your video card

7. Mar 2, 2009 #7 of 26
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I think you may be a candidate for a slingbox. I don't have one, but I think that is what they do.

8. Mar 2, 2009 #8 of 26
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    My system is wireless, plus my computer is in another room.

9. Mar 2, 2009 #9 of 26
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you do have a version on a windows pc. called windows media player.
    are you meaning you'd like that style gui for it on the pc?

10. DennisG

DennisG AllStar

Jan 15, 2008
    The music is already on your computer. You can use Windows Media Player to listen on your computer.

Is that what you want to do?

11. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Nope, I want to listen through my av system, just like when I can using Media Share through my dvr.

12. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    But will Windows Media Player send the music, via wireless to my av or my dvr?

13. Sackett

Sackett Legend

May 21, 2007
    You still need a media player. If you want to just listen to music, I think they make just music media players. Like the Roku Soundbridge system hooked up to your A/V System.

14. DennisG

DennisG AllStar

Jan 15, 2008
    Not without additional hardware. You can always turn the TV off once you get your music going and leave the HRxx going to serve the music to your AV system. It uses very little extra energy in "on" vs "standby".

15. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Well I thought about, but I would hate to have to turn the tv off and on to keep listening to a bunch of albums.

16. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Just checked it out. That would work, but it's $200. Might have to save for it. Thanks for the advice. :)

17. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    So I am not exactly sure what you are interested in so here goes some multiple choices :D

The method of connecting to a media server from a PC can vary depending on media server. Basically you may be asking about a Soft DMA and there are several both commercial and free. On the free side WMP has some capabilities, Mezzmo Player is free (packaged with the server which is not free), and XBMC has UPnP capabilities. TVersity also has a flash interface for use with a wii for example.

If you have a hardware UPnP client then you can use a UPnP controller application to send audio to it - something like Cidero. How that works is you open Cidero and it maps your server and your h/w client. Then you can place items from the server into the clients queue without having to actually interact with the client.

Also some newer a/v receivers have a upnp renderer built-in - which I think you could be asking about. And again you could use something like Cidero from a laptop to remotely load tracks to it.

Ideally this type of technology would work with an HR2x also but the Set Content URI method was not implemented :(.

18. DennisG

DennisG AllStar

Jan 15, 2008
  19. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
  20. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    You can make a playlist on your computer with media player and then on the DVR select the playlist and then kill the tv.. Personally I just let it cycle through some pics on the
    TV while the music is playing.