1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Share shuffle all option not working

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mrmojo, May 29, 2013.

1. mrmojo

mrmojo Mentor

Feb 11, 2008
    I have increased the number of songs in my mp3 collection on my PC and now the Media Share shuffle all option gives me a message saying "no files in folder". I can see and play all my songs so this appears to be a software bug or is there a know limitation. Anyone else have this problem and a solution? I tried contacting DirecTV support but there are no help at all. Thanks!

BTW - I am using Windows Media Player 12.

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi Mr. Mojo!

I estimate since 2011 this has been a known problem. At least for me. My collection is fairly big too and I also use WMP. I get a similar issue with pictures, since I also have a very large amount of photos. I spent a lot of time and effort working with DirecTV on this but alas it is what it is at the moment. My speculation on th eproblem deals with the heirarchy and number of folders the algorithm can endure. As you point out, when your number of songs were lower, it seemed to work. I call it an algorithm limitation of Media Share. YMMV though.

Smiddy

3. mrmojo

mrmojo Mentor

Feb 11, 2008
    Smiddy - thanks for the reply. Seems like this should be something easy to fix but since DirecTV refuses to acknowledge Media Share is still a beta version it doesn't seem like they care.

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I get the same thing. But if I go right back and do it again it will often "take".

5. mrmojo

mrmojo Mentor

Feb 11, 2008
    makaiguy - how many songs are you able to shuffle?

I did a quick test and created several playlists, all containing a different number of mp3s. What I found is that it will shuffle up to 419 songs, 420 seems to be the magic number where it quits and gives the "no file in folders" message.

No wonder it is still in beta - gotta wonder what the developers were smoking! :smoking:

6. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I usually just play by genre. Largest one right now is the ones I've tagged as jazz, currently 546 files.

7. mrmojo

mrmojo Mentor

Feb 11, 2008
    I tried playing by genre as well but it still craps out. I wonder if it is a folder hierarchy issue as my collection is filed by artist, album and then songs. Anyway, I wish DirecTV would get their act together and fix this for all customers and I have read a lot of posts on their technical forum complaining of the same problem.