1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Sharing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by duck33, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 2, 2007 #1 of 31
    duck33

duck33 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    So I networked my HR20 last night, all test pass on my receiver. I'm trying to play music and view photos with a NON Vivv computer, from what I have heard if you have WMP11 you can share your music? When I click on media share in WMP11 all I see is my XBOX360 and nothing else. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Brian

2. Sep 2, 2007 #2 of 31
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Click on "automatically share media to new devices" or something like that on the media sharing menu. Leave your computer on overnight. That's all it took for me.

3. Sep 2, 2007 #3 of 31
    Chilli_Dog

Chilli_Dog AllStar

Dec 26, 2005
    You can also try rebooting your HR20 (preferably via menu / reset / restart recorder). When I set up media sharing for my HR20s, WMP found my HR20-700 right away, but even overnight it did not find my HR20-100. A simple reboot of the HR20-100 seemed to fix the problem.

4. Sep 2, 2007 #4 of 31
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I had to, since I didn't use WMP for quite a while, redo the digital rights management. Once I did that on my second machine, all was well.

5. Sep 2, 2007 #5 of 31
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Did you configure your "My music", "my photos", and "my video" folders as shared folders? I had the same problem and when I changed the folders security it worked immediatley.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #6 of 31
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Does everything have to go through the WMP library, or can you simply share the drives and that is good enough?

7. Sep 2, 2007 #7 of 31
    gdn

gdn AllStar

Aug 5, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You have to share through WMP - Go to Tools, Options, Library tab, Configure Sharing button, Select the device (mine shows up as "Unknown device"), then click Customize. Also click the "Settings" button and check items there. I would unshare everything under the Settings button, then customize or add what you want to share to each individual device by customizing it.

8. Sep 3, 2007 #8 of 31
    duck33

duck33 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks for all the advice, it sure helps. The only device i can "select" is my XBOX 360, there is no "Unknown device" that shows up. I will try some trouble shooting later and see if that works, I can't complain too much, I'm connected to the network, and the internet from my HR20. I'm ready for DOD and remote booking!

Brian

9. Sep 3, 2007 #9 of 31
    mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    Whenever I select Music on the HR20 I get a "unable to access media" message.

I have never been able to access my music. Pictures work. Playlists work, but I cant get the music to work.

I have followed all of the suggestions.

-mk

10. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    mikek, try looking at DRM (digital rights management). I had a similar issue. Try playing your music from the computer to see if you can play them from there. If you can not, there should be a pop up that says CLOSE and WEB HELP (or something like that). Go to the web help and follow the instructions. DRM is the last thing on there, which after I did the first two things didn't help, I tried DRM. Suddenly my unknown device showed up and I was able to play my music (most ripped from CD; if they weren't then you may have some issues getting the content to play if you got it from a service).

11. duck33

duck33 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    well for a second I had my music and photos playing on my HR20. My "Unknown device" shows up now for sharing however, while I was watching tv a message came up about "my computer" being disconnected from the serve (something like that.) Now I can't get my music or photos back, any my device is still showing that it is sharing. Oh well. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

12. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Are you hard wired or wireless? If you're wireless, check your adapter as this is the cause of 99% of my issues. If you're hard wired, make sure you still have a link on your router/switch for your HR20. Moving even more backward, take a look at your computer and see if you're still sharing. I can't remember but I think there may be a service that is running which enables sharing.

Worst case, reboot your PC and see if that fixes it.

13. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I can play my music fine from the computer. Don't think it is a DRM problem because I ripped almost all these songs from my CDs.

The weirdest thing is that I can make playlists in WMP11 and they show up and play on the HR20. I just can't access my music library.

-mk

14. firemed509

firemed509 AllStar

Jul 16, 2006
    I had a the same problem and it was related to my screen saver on my computer. Try rebooting both your computer and the HR20 and turn off your screen saver on your computer.

15. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I got mine running it seems. Got music to work. Looking at photos seemed a lot more cumbersome and slow in responding than looking at photos with the XBOX360.

16. outflying

outflying New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I've set up sharing and my computer found the unknown device. Where do I go in the HR20 to play music or look at pics from my computer.

Thanks!

17. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    If networking is set up correctly on your HR-20, you should now see "Music & Photos" when you hit Menu.

18. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    So i start showing pictures with music and it provides a message about yellow button to switch from audio to picture controls. So how does one move th epicturs along faster or slower or paused???

19. sprog68

sprog68 New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Once you switch to picture control, you can use the FF or REW buttons to manually change the pictures. This will only change one picture at a time. I wish there was a way to speed up the time pictures are displayed, it seems to stay on one picture about 4 or 5 seconds too long.

20. sprog68

sprog68 New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I hope someone can help me with a problem I'm having all of a sudden. When I first networked my HR20 a few weeks ago, I would get 2, sometimes 3, listings under My Computer. They would all be the same computer name, but only one of them would have my folders. I would select that, and everything worked fine with no real problems. A couple of days ago, when I went to the My Computer heading, there was only one listing and it doesn't contain any usable folders. I haven't made any changes to the settings, so I'm rather puzzled. I only have one computer and the listing is the correct computer name, so I'm not sure what to do. WMP shows the unknown device and its enabled to share. I was wondering if anyone else has had multiple listings of the same computer or if you have any ideas on what I should try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.