1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MediaShare Help Needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by narrod, Oct 15, 2009.

1. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    MediaShare is working but I only see some of my music and a few of my photos.
    I've read the installation doc at the DirecTv site but am lost as to access all music and pictures on my computer. Any guidance is appreciated.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    What are you using to share your media? If it's WMP, you're going to be very limited to listening to MP3s, WMA, and WAVs, as those are the only file type it will transcode. GIFs and JPGs will work, but since I'd bet that none of your videos are MPEG2-TS format, none of those will work.

What you need is a media share software that can TRANSCODE (translate/recode) your media into a format that the HR can understand. TVersity is the most widely used on the PC, but there are others, as well as options for Mac and Linux.

Note that transcoding means you'll have very limited control of your files; for example, you probably won't be abe to pause movies, much less FF or REW. The HR is pretty limited for video media sharing; much less robust than a dedicated platform like Popcorn Hour or even a PS3. As long as you understand this, you'll be good.

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Is it worth the trouble setting up? I looked into this earlier today on another thread here and it looks like it would be more of a personal challenge (for me) than something I would regularly use. I don't know I would use it for movies but music might be nice.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Install Tversity with all defaults and you'll see some differences.

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    buy a real media extender and don't bother.
    then you would not have to worry about transcoding, format issues, large file issues, etc..

6. clockwork

clockwork New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Tversity isn't particularly difficult to set up but the inability to pause,ff or rw video is cumbersome. If you also have a ps3 you can use it w/tversity to regain full functionality for your vids. The ps3 also upscales divx and xvid conversions from tversity very nicely. Plus, you get a great bd player and gaming console if an additional selling point for the purser on your good ship is required.

7. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007

I installed Tversity and I am successfully playing a 320kb MP3. I use iTunes and Apple Lossless for ripping CDs. Tversity doesn't see any of those files. Is it a compatibility problem?

8. clockwork

clockwork New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Try
    forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?p=27069&sid=eb4497d208d6aca5612a988f0b438b56

Above is a link to a user w/similar problem and a solution. Sorry-Couldn't list a live link w/<5 posts

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008