1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

MediaTomb Install Instructions Using VMWare For Windows

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by boilerjt, Jul 15, 2008.

1. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    Attached is a How-To document on how to install MediaTomb in a VMWare virtual machine in Windows (using Ubuntu Hardy linux). This document outlines the steps I took to get this excellent media server up and running. MediaTomb has been running great for me for the past two months using various NR and CE HR2x firmware.

Note: This procedure assumes you have some familiarity with linux and it is not intended to be a linux tutorial. There are many excellent sources on the web to learn linux. Also, this document is only a draft at this point and will be refined along the way.

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Awesome, anothre great link to include in the network thread. Thanks boilerjt for this instruction sheet.

I guess I just have to install VMware here and be done with it.

3. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    I'm feeling sorry for the Windows crowd not getting to enjoy this great media server ;) Hopefully, a couple of people will benefit from this document :)

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Have you made any comparisons between using VMWare in Windows vs. native Linux? I ran Win 98 in VMWare on a Linux host several years ago and it was pretty slow compared to running 98 directly (of course that was on a slower machine with less memory than you typically find now). Win4Lin ran pretty well on the box, however.

5. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    Since I already had VMWare installed for my job, it was convenient to try MediaTomb in a VM. I had a linux box running Ubuntu Feisty using Twonky at one time, but that box died a while back and I haven't gotten around to building a new one. I'm sure running native Linux will run faster (especially the video transcoding), but I've seen no issues running it in a VM. I am running a Quad Core, but the VM only seems to use one of the cores. I am able to transcode h264 1080p to mpeg2 with no issues using the VM.