1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Meet the SR-72

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Nov 1, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Wow! 50 years or so after the SR-71 we're thinking about a successor.

I worked on the B-70 bomber as a subcontractor at North American Aviation in 1959. I knew someone who worked on the Lockheed SR-71 around that time, although the designation/identification didn't appear until several years later.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've always like the SR71, never knew it in person but very cool plane. I read an article a few years ago written by one of the pilots, He had put together a model when he was younger and threw it out as a piece of junk, glue coming out of the seams etc. He realized it was more accurate than he realized when he saw one fueled up in the hanger.

Apparently flying it changed his mind.

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Maybe they won't make the mistake of mounting guns on it this time.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I just reread material, mach 6 is cruising speed so definitely can go faster.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I find it interesting in that they want it to be capable of doing this "Spaceless" - without GPS and comm-sat links. Using inertial guidance - certainly possible on the NAV side. And Comms could be done using HF...

There are places where you Joe Average citizen can go oogle the SR71 - the Smithsonian annex at Dulles airport in the DC metro area, for example. (I'd like to make a trip there sometime).

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I want to go to the annex as well. The original air and space museum lost something as I got older, though I recently found that the front if the spirit of St Louis is the color it is due to a preservation technique that went wrong.