1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mega March Madness - Will my CBS Dispute mean a Blackout for Me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by spedinfargo, Mar 16, 2009.

1. spedinfargo

spedinfargo Cool Member

Oct 5, 2005
    We recently lost our local CBS station on DirecTV (Fargo, ND - see this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=149396). This is our SD channel (we don't have HD locals yet).

This is obviously a problem if I want to watch the NCAA tourney this week (I'm having a hard time getting OTA with my antenna).

Not that I'm too keen on forking out the 70 bucks, but I'm wondering if I would even be "allowed" to get the Mega March Madness through DirecTV or not. I can't imagine that the local CBS station would be too excited to go around their dispute and be able to actually see the games...

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. jake14mw

jake14mw AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    I don't think your local channel issue will have any affect on the availability of the MMM package for you. The problem you will have though is that any games being shown on your local CBS station will still be blacked out on MMM. So you will probably be out of luck seeing whatever team that was from Fargo that made the tourney. And MMM is only for the first weekend of the tourney.

3. Rakim

Rakim Cool Member

Feb 23, 2007
    I agree with Jake, you probaly won't get any of the games that your local CBS is carrying, so you would only be able to see 3 games for each timeslot.

But, MMM does extend to the Sweet 16 next Thursday and Friday. Anytime there is more than one game going on, you will get game(s) through the package.

4. jake14mw

jake14mw AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    You're right, it says on the website that it is for the first 3 rounds. Is the game mix channel in HD?

5. frank_gore

frank_gore Mentor

Mar 17, 2009
    ^^^ As of right now I'm going to say no. 701 is where the Game Mix is at and there's no HD channel. DirecTV on their website and ch. 700 give no indication that their Game Mix channel is in HD. It's very disappointing, considering in their Ad that it looked like the Game Mix channel was HD.

6. spedinfargo

spedinfargo Cool Member

Oct 5, 2005
    That makes sense - I can imagine that the local station wouldn't want people not watching their station for the games that they're showing.

I have other means for watching the NDSU game on Friday, but it would be nice to be able to watch the rest of the tournament... Believe it or not the snow is actually melting enough here to get up on the roof - I may play around with antennas later this week to try and get OTA...

Thanks for the replies...

7. Rakim

Rakim Cool Member

Feb 23, 2007
    I think I read that the Game Mix channel is not in HD, but if you have HD, then if you select a game to watch from the mix, it takes you to the HD channel. While not ideal, that definitely helps.

8. jake14mw

jake14mw AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    Wow, that's dissapointing. I was thinking that at certain times it would be nice to put it on the game mix, but on a big projector screen, SD just won't cut it.