1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memphis Beat: "It's Alright Mama" OAD 6/22/10 (Good show!)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jun 25, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Alright! This was a solid pilot. I knew that the cast was great, but it actually has decent writing and fantastic music. And maybe somebody else knew Jason Lee could sing, but I didn't. He's no Elvis, but nobody is and he did alright.

Yes, the Elvis songs were there. But the episode also had Rufus Thomas' "Walking the Dog," Booker T.'s "Time Is Tight" and Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come" and others. Going to be a heck of an album.

And elderly abuse is a growing problem, so it was a solid subject for what is sure to be a different take on the crime procedural.

2. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    Jason Lee seems a bit subdued compared to his over the top "Earl". I thought it was a little slow but will watch it just for the music if nothing else. (Actually I think it was Otis Redding's version of "A Change Is Gonna Come").

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Good to hear, I have it on the DVR and was hoping it was going to be worth it. :)

4. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Here's some trivia from the show:

WHER, the radio station depicted in the pilot episode, went on the air in October 1955 staffed almost exclusively by women. The station was the brainchild of Sam Phillips, who used a portion of the $35,000 he made from the sale of Elvis' recording contract to RCA.
    Additional funding came from Holiday Inn founder Kemmons Wilson, who also provided the station's first home, in the third Holiday Inn ever built.

One scene shows boxes of Gus's Fried chicken. Anyone who has ever been to Gus's knows it only comes in greasy paper bags.

I haven't YET figured out the Asian Elvis lookalikes in shiny gold jackets.... :)

Kevin

5. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    I caught this show, but wasn't impressed. I like Jason Lee (loved Earl), but was just underwhelmed by all of this. I'll tune in again, but may not stick around for the long haul.

6. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Was that really JL singing? It looked to be lip synced to me...I figured that's why most of the shots of singing were from behind the stage.

Wasn't overly impressed, I'll give it a couple more to see if it has legs...

7. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Jason's not singing yet. He's said in an interview that his singing voice is bad, but may improve over time. Great premiere though.

8. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    We watched it tonight. Mrs olguy said she has a new favorite.

I really enjoyed the music on this one. Here's the list from the Memphis Beat web site. It says check back every week for that weeks music. Also in the About section it says
    Keb Mo' - one of my favorites.

It's Alright Mama (Pilot)
    Green Onions - Booker T & the MG's
    Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
    Walking the Dog - Rufus Thomas
    Bootleg - Booker T & the MG's
    Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
    What It Is - Little Milton
    Thats Alright Mama - Elvis Presley
    Drop Down Mama - Sleepy John Estes
    Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King
    Time is Tight - Booker T & the MG's
    I See a Darkness - Keb Mo
    Change Gonna Come - Otis Redding

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's definitely a summer keeper show. Helps to make up for all of my shows that were canceled after this past season ..

10. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    I liked the first episode and plan to watch each week. It is a little hard, though, getting over the fact that the cop sounds so much like Earl Hickey. :)

My wife and I have a bonus reason for watching. My wife's cousin, Jackie Tohn, will be a guest star in the fifth episode. She'll be playing a singer which comes rather natural to her since she's ... a singer. Jackie was one of the "Top 36" on American Idol last year.

-- Roger

11. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Good posts all the way around.
    Obviously the music is great. Curious to see how JL would do in a different setting,etc.
    I feel a little sad for Alfre Woodard. Here's hoping this is a springboard to more movies.

I always give new shows that I am curious about 3 episodes so will give it 2 more, at least.
    Leaning towards the music keeping me if nothing else.

12. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    Oh .. there's Jackie right at the beginning of the show playing guitar and singing. She's playing "Delilah." It's funny hearing her doing a southern accent, though she's doing it well.

-- Roger

13. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I really WANT to like this show. I've always enjoyed Jason Lee, and Alfre Woodard is never anything short of outstanding (hopefully they'll expand her part in the future). And the Memphis music is terrific.

But somehow this show just hasn't clicked with me so far.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We both love this show and tonight's episode with Jackie Tohn, Giovanni Ribisi and Sherri Saum guest starring. Amazing cast, guest stars, music and a decent police procedural story.

15. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I keep wondering, so where's Randy and that beautiful Catalina? ;)

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Wasn't sure from the promos if I were going to like Memphis Beat but I am pleasantly surprised with this one. Mrs. Fluffybear is still on the fence with this one but I think she will come around.

17. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Screw them, where the hell is Joy? :D