1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menu display Hughes HDVR2

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gmidkiff, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1 of 10
    gmidkiff

gmidkiff Cool Member

May 8, 2007
    Can someone tell me how to get a solid background on the different menus on the Hughes HDVR2? Now the background is transparent letting what ever channel that is playing show through, making it difficult to read the menus.

I know at one time I had solid backgrounds but for the life of me I can't get it back. I have software version 6.4.

2. Nov 9, 2008 #2 of 10
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Should be able to press guide then enter.Then select from the guide choice list or grid.

3. gmidkiff

gmidkiff Cool Member

May 8, 2007

This only changes the format of the guide. It doesn't do anything for the other menus.

4. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    Is this a new drive you've re-imaged? This is a known issue with restoring a bad image to a drive. The particular image didn't contain the loopsets that were required for displaying the backgrounds. I suppose it is technically possible for it to happen if somehow the upgrade went wrong when going to 6.4a. If it's a new drive, then the easiest fix is to restore a different/better image (or buy Instantcake). Or you might search over at deal data base dot com to find out if its possible to restore the missing loopsets.

5. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Sorry I missed reading that part.My bad.:eek:

6. gmidkiff

gmidkiff Cool Member

May 8, 2007

Yes, I had to replace the hard drive and restored an image that I had saved a little over a year ago (ver 6.2). It stayed at 6.2 for at least two months after the restore. The problem occurred when I replaced the harddrive. I was running 6.4 when the drive failed and was unable to get a good image off that drive so I restored to 6.2 saved some time ago. Finally (not sure how I did it) but I got upgrade to 6.4 downloaded. Problem still exists after the upgrade. I would think that if something was missing, the download of 6.4 would have fixed it.

7. ADent

ADent AllStar

Jul 7, 2002
    You are missing some video files - the video loops played when in the menus.

They never redownload the video files - too big.

How did you do the backup and restore. Did you use the -f 9999 option?

You can buy InstantCake which is a full software image with video loops. Or try to find an image to download.

8. gmidkiff

gmidkiff Cool Member

May 8, 2007
    I used MFSTOOLS2 to save an image of the original drive. I don't know if I used the -f 9999 option or not. What does it do?

What if I use the erase everything option in setup. Would that cause a complete download?

9. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    No, doing a "Clear & Delete Everything" won't help. You need to do one of two things to get your backgrounds back. Either load a new proper image on the drive, or figure out a way to install the loopsets. And I'm not sure how easy (or impossible) that may prove to be.

PS: In the future, use the MFSLive Boot CD (and the command generator at MFSlive.org) or WinMFS to do backup and restore on a Tivo.

10. gmidkiff

gmidkiff Cool Member

May 8, 2007
    What I find strange about this is the saved image was from the original 40gb drive. I saved it and restored it to a 120gb drive over a year ago. I had all the background on the new drive and it worked as expected until that drive bit the dust, so I used a 80gb drive I had and restored from the same image used before.