1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Menus, Playlist etc. aren't HD all of the sudden on Genie 0x06BE

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by carillon, May 24, 2013.

1. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Anyone else having this issue? Stayed this way even after resetting the device.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Make sure the receiver is set to an HD resolution

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This works on the HR2X models.

Press and hold the Exit button on the remote and see what message comes to the screen.
    Pressing and holding it again puts it back like it was if you need to.

4. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks for the replies... this is really strange. I am unable to set any resolution other than 480p in the TV Resolutions setting menu. I have done a red button reset, I have powered off the AV receiver etc. The TV is 1080p and I used to have all resolutions set so I could use the native setting.

If I try to set any other resolution besides 480p, the display led on the genie shows that resolution for a few seconds and then goes back to 480p. A message on the display states that my TV doesn't support that resolution?

I have no idea what's going on here, HD channels are still displaying in HD but all menus, icons and Quicktune are displayed in low-res.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you have a second TV hooked to the outputs ? Or maybe a DVD recorder ? Using the Red, White and Yellow connections ?

Did you try the Exit button and hold it until a message comes to the screen ? What did the message say ?

Thanks

6. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    I'm beginning to think the Genie has a problem... I force a software download with the reset - 0,2,4,6,8 method and the problem persists. I'm also seeing evidence that HD channels are not as clear as the should be.

7. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    No second TV or other device connected to the Genie. It goes straight to my AV receiver via HDMI. The Exit button set it to Standard and then a second press/hold said it was set to HD but didn't fix the issue.

8. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    TV and AV receiver are fine since watching Apple TV which is also connected via HDMI to the AV receiver then to the TV successfully uses 1080p.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If the reset didn't work, try Menu, Settings, Reset, Reset Defaults. Note that this will wipe out all settings including, possibly, your Favorites list. It does not delete your recordings.

10. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    Swinging for the fence here, but: Maybe try reseating the HDMI cable; or swap the HDMI cable with the Apple. Sounds like a bad pin out to me.

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Bypass the AV Receiver or swap ports. Is there a reset on the receiver?

12. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    I have reset the receiver, tried different HDMI cable directly from the Genie to the TV and still the same thing. I haven't tried the factory reset yet. I'm going to have to wait so I can capture favorite lists, Quicktune, series timers etc.

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    In bypassing the receiver, you can digital (optical or cable) back to the AVR from the TV- well, many TVs.

14. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Bypassed the receiver and the problem persists. It must be the Genie has gone bad...

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    At this point you should call DirecTV, explain the issue your having and the steps you have taken to correct it. Sounds like you need a new receiver.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you go to display => resolutions, are 720p and 1080i checked?

17. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    The only resolution selected is 480p. If I try and select another one the screen just goes black and then it doesn't allow me to put a check mark.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it looks like your TV is not accepting HD resolutions. as a test, disconnect the HDMI from the TV and the HR34 and connect the Genie with composite cable. select the HD resolutions and leave the HR34 on 1080i. now switch back to HDMI. see if it helps.

19. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    It's accepting HD resolutions from my Apple TV just fine. I'm going to call DirecTV later today...

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You've switched HDMI ports with the ATV, yes?