1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merger Results in Formation of DIRECTV Sports Networks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Unknown, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    DIRECTV completed a merger transaction with Liberty Media yesterday .. More information here. Some more information came available today.

BigSkyBusiness.com
    What effect will this have if any. also i did a search and nothing cam up on this topic.

2. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am certain this will come into play around the end of December regarding the lack of Versus on D* and comcrap's carriage agreements with these same RSNs expiring. D* will soon have what they call "leverage". ;)

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I hope they use their hold on FSN Northwest, FSN Pittsburgh and FSN Rocky Mountain as HUGE leverage against Comcast in those areas to get Versus back. Comcast subs who are Pittsburgh Penguins fans would go nuts got yanked.

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Let's see how nice DirecTV Sports plays with Comcast on the Pirates games. May start getting easier for DirecTV to get Comcast Philly.

5. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Talk about strategic placement! FSN Rocky Mountain is right smack in the 2nd home of Comcra... er, Comcast (as well as DirecTV's second home and Dish's first home). FSN Northwest is in the Seattle/Poetland area and FSN Pittsburgh is about as close as you can get to Philly with a sports network not named "Comcra"... er, "Comcast". (I wonder why my keyboard always does that? :sure:)

6. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Great News for us sports junkies. Keeping DirecTV the leader in sports television.

7. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Would some one explain how Directv can own/control FSN regional channels. Does FSN produce the programming on FSN Northwest, FSN Pittsburgh and FSN Rocky Mountain?

8. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
  9. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    Comcast New England used to be Fox Sports New England but was not owned by Fox. It was owned, I believe, by Cablevision but Comcast bought it from them.

As you said, Fox provides programing as they do now with Comcast New England.

10. 5353

5353 AllStar

Sep 2, 2009
    Does this mean that there is a possibility to get Philly Comcast on DTV I have been waiting for years. I miss it and have been looking to get it and there is no way cause of the Prism days

11. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I wonder how this will play into D* also having purchased The Dan Patrick and Tony Bruno shows, will they be combined into this network? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

12. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Good, maybe Comcast can give it exclusive access to Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast as well as the other above channels.

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    "You're watching DSN, the DirecTV Sports Network" ;)

So who owns the other Fox Sports Nets?

14. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    NewsCorporation, they own all of the other FSN RSNs

15. grooves12

grooves12 Godfather

Oct 27, 2005
    FSN is an affiliate network... just like many of the local CBS, NBC, FOX, etc. channels are owned by independent companies, but carry the network programming, the same is true of the Regional Sports Networks. Even though most of them fall under one of the two major brands (Fox Sports or Comcast Sports) that doesn't necessarilly mean Fox or Comcast owns all the networks that carry those names.

16. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Goodbye FSN NW (Mariners and Pac-10 sports) on Comcast cable in Washington/Oregon thanks to Comcrap denying CSN NW (Blazers and Ducks) to D*. D* is truly calling C* bluff on this one, and it started with Versus. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. We may not know until April when baseball season starts...

17. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    This is getting good
    :box:

18. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    So that means we should be ok for a while with those. Hopefully they won't sell out to C*.
    I wonder if they'll do an even exchange for the two? C* gets FSNW, in exchange D* will get CSNNW. Maybe the same with FSN Pittsburgh and CSN Philly.

Its going to get interesting.

19. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA

Hmm, now if DirecTV Sports Network were to purchase NewsCorps holdings in their FSNs......or for that matter, just buy a majority stake in NewsCorp itself.....

20. blitzingATK

blitzingATK Cool Member

Aug 26, 2009