1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merger talk heats up?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by harsh, Mar 18, 2013.

1. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  2. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    What would be the point? Another XM/Sirius type of merger, where the same programming is distributed multiple times, on two different and non-compatible systems?

It's more likely to be about "buying out the competition".

3. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    What next..Pepsi and Coke merge? Welcome to hell!

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just don't see it. It would take a decade to merge the technologies and in the meantime the industry would change in unexpected ways. The result would be a new company that is weaker than either of the two companies that formed it.

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Tough to play them off against each other if there is only one, LOL.

6. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    It would make all of our owned/leased dvr's and receivers incompatible and worthless. If that were to happen, they'd better supply us, who own our equipment, with new ones at no cost.

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I understand that's exactly what will happen,if it does I hear"the check will be in the mail".

*- the check is in the mail is one of the world's greatest lies.;):D

8. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Just like clockwork. Must be close to time for a thread about how the Superstations will be gone too.

9. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Didn't the FCC or FTC or some other TLA nix a merger ten years ago?

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I really don't think this won't happen because Charlie wouldn't go for it.

11. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    I heard that Goodtime Charlie's got the blues, but seriously, I hope they don't take away the Superstations.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Who the heck is "Macquarie analyst Amy Yong" who's the expert quoted in the article???

Wikipedia says "Macquarie is the largest investment bank and the top ranked mergers and acquisitions advisor in Australia." They apparently do have offices in the U.S. Amy Yong's LinkedIn page says she is "Vice President Equity Research Analyst at Macquarie Bank" who apparently went to Cornell.

These analyst folks seem to raise this issue based on nothing but their motives are suspect IMHO.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Mergers are a business deal to gain bargaining power and economies of scale, not a marriage of hardware and customer bases.

You're wadded up about hardware and mixed breeding when the real difference would likely come from negotiating power at the carriage bargaining table. Imagine approaching Disney with 33 million households instead of 19.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Negotiating for 33 million would definitely tip the scales. But it would take a while to bring the contract cycles together. And then the media companies and the NAB would be screaming at the SEC, the FCC, and Congress.

Like Stuart I think their are some complicated issues associated with hardware and satellites. The assets of that other company, Echostar, are involved big time. I always smile when I read about an analyst talking about a merger of Dish and Direct, as if Charlie isn't really a technogeek whose personal interests aren't oriented to what was left in Echostar after Dish was split off. When I read someone indicating that Echostar is about to merge with or be sold to Direct, I'll pay stronger attention.

15. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I think it's unlikely, given the current political climate. Also, If this consolidation turns out to be a DirecTV takeover of Dish Network, I think one condition the government may try to impose is that current Dish subscribers not be subject to credit checks.

16. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    What makes you think Directv would take over Dish and not the other way around?

Directv may, in some cases, have better programming, but maybe it doesn't anymore. Dish clearly has better equipment. I have had both in my life multiple times.

I also doubt the two will combine. I think its more likely Dish finds a telecom partner than a merger. The TV channel industry also wants more providers. One satellite company has more leverage with channels as well.

It's the analysts that are doing most of the talking here, they need a big deal.

17. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Because it states it right in the article!;)

"While a DirecTV purchase of Dish would need to clear multiple regulatory hurdles, we believe a deal would deliver near- and long-term synergies, be extremely accretive, and improve both companies' competitive positioning."

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Directv stocks, are $20 per share of more value, Um they have about 15 million more overall customers.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How quickly people forget that Dish wanted to buy/merge with DirecTV several years back... and there were obstacles in the way.

Also, smaller companies take over larger companies all the time.

AOL bought/took over Time-Warner back in the day, for instance.

20. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Several years ago, Directv wasn't much better then Dish. The last 5 Years with Directv Latin American , and USA have grown by a mile.

Dish has pitter pattered the Same 14 million subscribers for the last 5 years.

If you Dish guys want to believe Charlie is Buying Directv , you go right ahead. :hurah: