1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Message from Senator Allen

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    This is a reply from Senator George Allen of Virginia. It's a lot better than Barbara BoXer's boilerplate response.

Dear Mark:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the reauthorization of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act (SHVIA). I appreciate your concerns and value the opportunity to respond.

According to the Federal Communications Commission, there are over 107 million American homes that are considered television households. Of those television households, over 16 million use direct broadcast satellite (DBS) as their primary source of receiving television signals. In 1999, Congress passed SHVIA which extended and expanded the previous provisions of the 1988 Satellite Home Viewer Act (SHVA). The goal of SHVIA was to ensure that as many households as possible could have access to local programming and allow consumers more choices in television programming and service providers.

As you may be aware, SHVIA is set to expire on December 31, 2004. I am fully aware of the importance of DBS services for television consumers, especially those consumers located in rural and small market areas who rely on such services. I believe it is the role of government to promote, protect and preserve competition within our economy in order to ensure continued success especially within the telecommunications industry.

While I am a strong advocate for market-based approaches, I do believe it is important that current government policy accurately reflects current technology. Among the key issues surrounding SHVIA, the definitional issue of “digital white areas” and the service issue of the “must carry” provision are two areas of concern and considerable confusion. I support the reauthorization of SHVIA and I will continue to work diligently to ensure that the interests of both rural and urban communities are best served while preserving a fair and consumer-friendly market.

Once again, I appreciate you alerting me to this matter and please do not hesitate to contact me again about issues important to you. If you would like to receive an e-mail newsletter about my initiatives to improve America, please sign up on my website (<http://allen.senate.gov>). It is an honor to serve you in the United States Senate, and I look forward to working with you to make Virginia and America a better place to live, learn, work and raise a family.

Sincerely,

Senator George Allen

2. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    You see the republicans are for freedom & independance.Thats why its very importaint to vote out the liberals on election day so we can get more channels on DBS systems.

3. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Whether it is "boilerplate" or not, trusting anything from George Allen is a huge mistake. He ran Virginia into the ground. The only reason he's a Senator now is because of Northern Virginia. The rest of the state wouldn't waste spit on him.

4. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Yes, a country completely run by one single ideology is so very efficient. Just look at how well that worked for Germany and Italy in the 1930s, the USSR, Cuba....

5. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Well liberalism is ruining america. The democratic party has been in more scandels and corruption than the G.O.P. I disagree with liberalism and it doesnt work.

6. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Silly me, when I think of the primary forces preventing "more channels", I think of the NAB and the corporate consolidation of channel ownership. I had not previously thought of the NAB or corporate media owners (and there's a lot of overlap there) as "liberals".

Could you please enlighten me how the liberals are keeping us from seeing more channels on our DBS systems?

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    You are reminded that this is for the discussion of the SHIVA legislation only. Any other political issues belong in the Potpourri forum. Thank you. - Holtz

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Thank you Mark - I was going to rant on them - but then I'd be exceeding my non-existent authority. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.