1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Message that all or part of show did not record when stoping then resuming recording on HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lisn2me, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Lisn2me

Lisn2me New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I have had the HR44 for about 3 weeks and two days ago I started to notice that when I stop and then try and resume a show recorded on my HR23 from my HR44 I receive the message that all or part of my show did not record, then it will skip to the end of the show where it give the save or delete option. If I do not delete, then start the recording from the beginning I will be able to watch the show in it's entirety.
    So far this only happens on recordings that are on the HR23 when accessed from the HR44 but I have not completed any extensive research. I does not happen all the time which leads me to believe connect issues.

The HR44 is connected wirelessly while the HR23 is through Deca.

I did a quick search but didn't find anything on this. Suggestions?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Could you give the software versions of both units, please? And a bit more detail on how the wires are run with DECA. Where do any and all ethernet cables run?

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    FWIW this happen to me ONE time. I recorded Iheart Radio Concert on the CW and I got the same message. I pressed "do not delete" and the try to play the show again, It played fine. I also have an HR34 and HR23. did not bother "investigating" since it has not happen again in about 2 or 3 weeks. Both HRs are running current NR software

4. Lisn2me

Lisn2me New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    HR23 Software 0x6d8 the Adapter is hooked up as follows coax into the adapter then from the adapter there is the LAN cable to the box and another Coax to the box.

HR44 Software 0x725 connected via Wireless network.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If both internet methods are in use at the same time, that may be your problem. If you reset the HR44, does it still say connected by wireless? If so, go through Network settings and OK through them.

6. larcar

larcar AllStar

Sep 22, 2006
    It happens on occasion to me too when pullng recordings from hr 24's to hr44. No idea why, I just say don't delete and I go back and choose to play it again and it plays fine.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    This much is probably and truly a part of this: when a program is recorded, a timecode track is also recorded. The earliest TC number is also entered as a metadata flag as the SOM or start of message, and the latest TC number is entered as the EOM or end of message. Often if this chunk of metadata becomes unreadable (and they are stamped into every packet along with the current TC, IIRC <edit: actually, I think the EOM is appended to the head of the file packet header after the recording ends, and only the SOM and the current TC are in the later packet headers>) the DVR can get confused and think it is at the EOM when it really isn't. And if it thinks it has come upon a valid EOM or does not know what the EOM is, it is programmed to invoke the "freeze the video - do you want to delete?" routine, regardless of whether the EOM is valid or not.

The new component here is the client/server playback. Possibly there is an issue with how robust this metadata is during this streaming transfer routine making this happen more often during streaming than during straight playback from the server. I think most of us have seen this, but it is pretty rare, also. But maybe not so rare for client/server streaming <edit: again, if the EOM is only in the first or first few packet headers, it might get misread during the streaming routine, and that could be one explanation for a file "ending" before it really "ends". There may not be a lot of error correction (or enough) in their streaming protocol to keep this from reliably not happening.>

The burden of streaming is compounded upon all other burdens of simple playback, so problems there are bound to be more likely. But there is also a chance that they may have not worked all of the bugs out of streaming. We may think the streaming model is a convenience they do just for us, but it is really a convenience for DTV making their systems less costly (but at the cost of complexity, and being potentially problematic).

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Which is one reason why I really don't understand this design insistence upon an only streaming approach to WH. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply allow actual file sharing among the networked DIRECTV boxes by transfer of the entire file from one box to another for local playback if desired?

The file would be naturally encrypted of course to placate Hollywood's fears of any unauthorized capture of it.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Which is one reason why I really don't understand this design insistence upon an only streaming approach to WH. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply allow actual file sharing among the networked DIRECTV boxes by transfer of the entire file from one box to another for local playback if desired?

The file would be naturally encrypted of course to placate Hollywood's fears of any unauthorized capture of it.

Consider this. Right now all recording are coded to the DVR they where recorded on. We can't move esata drives. If they transferred shows themed have to convert it from one DVR to the other, or they'd have to tie all recordings to an account first (which would be good do esata users.).

That could be part f the reasons they run streaming only.