1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meteor Show(er) Alert

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Richard King, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Please reveal technical details of the shot - a camera, f stop, duration, etc

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Of course it was a camera.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Funny, eh ?

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No pictures, but I saw about 3 good fairly long duration ones, and 6 or so short duration ones this morning between 3 and 4am. Wasnt the most/hr shower Ive seen tho. Pretty disappointing. Light pollution is getting worse each year around here, and even the back road I usually go to had at least 15 cars in the hour I was there cutting through to the new Wal Mart supercenter. Pretty soon Ill have to drive two hours just to get a place to watch in peace.

6. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The picture was PURE pot luck. It was shot many years ago with an early digital camera (Nikon CoolPix 990, 3 mpix.). That camera would get very noisy with any exposure over a second or two. The shutter for that one was probably two seconds, if that. I just happened to open it at the right time as the meteor shot across the sky. The picture is cropped from the original. I couldn't tell you what the settings were on it. My current camera could do a much better job, but I never made it out last night. Here's another just as lucky one second exposure of a different subject from the same camera:
    [​IMG]
    Here's one from last May with a newer camera from the same spot. 4 second exposure
    [​IMG]