1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MFH1 & MFH2 on same coax?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Stephen M. Smith, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    Is this possible? ie. to deliver MPEG2 programming via existing MFH1 equipment and MPEG4 programming via new MFH2 equipment simultaneously to the same unit via a single coax line?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Mentor

Feb 5, 2008
    No, the MFH-1 signal and MFH-2 signal are on the same frequencies starting at 950Mhz. They would interfere with each other.

Slowhand

3. DirecTv Chicago

DirecTv Chicago Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I am interested in knowing why you would be doing this? What are you trying to accomplish that can't be accomplished by the MFH2 system?

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you have older non-SWM compatible receivers, maybe??

5. DirecTv Chicago

DirecTv Chicago Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Yea thats the only thing I can think of.

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Or more than eight tuners in a unit serviced by a single coax.

7. DirecTv Chicago

DirecTv Chicago Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I haven't looked into it but didn't they just announce some type of expander for the SWM-8 units to double them? I'll look for the link.

8. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  9. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    Yep, that is it. I need more time to completely transition off my 2 MPEG2 DVR's (HDVR2 for SD and HR10-250 for HD) to MPEG4. Sysop gave me a HR21 last week and I began the painful process only to run into the 50 season pass limit, which means I can not consolidate both MPEG2 DVR's to a single HR21 as originally planned. So now I'm on Plan B, which is to replace HR10-250 w/HR21 but keep my HDVR2 going on MPEG2 while I figure out what to do with it.

According to our sysop, HDVR2 will continue to receive MPEG2 via MFH1 after our MFH2 upgrade is done this summer b/c the MFH1 system will still be up and fully operational alongside the MFH2 equipment. And my HR21 will receive MPEG4 at same time according to them, but I think they're forgetting that there's just one coax cable entering each unit so I asked here. I've come here doubting a couple other things they've said before only to find out that they were indeed correct, but it sounds like that's not going to be the case this time... I would have to pull another coax line for simultaneous MPEG2 and MPEG4?

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The artwork is very shabby, but it looks like these "expanders" are just downsized FMC6 chassis. It looks like they support two or four SWM8s, but need one coax per SWM8 output.

Nevertheless, they may be just what I need to stuff multiple SWMs into 4" deep, 24"x24" flushmounted wallboxes than cannot accommodate the depth of ana stuffed FMC6 channis.

11. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    BUT size can be approximated by comparison of known size of SWM itself.

To my read they are just glorified: possibly amplified : splitters!! :eek2:

Doctor j

12. woodybeetle

woodybeetle Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    We have been placing them in wall boxes using long bolts with spacers to stack the SWMs and then utilizing Taps or splitters to feed the sat signals to the SWMs. It has been up for about 3 months with no problems. Just make sure to watch out for the heat they put off.:)

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I can't see any way of getting MFH1 and MFH2 over a single cable. The cable entering each unit would have to be either MFH1 using destackers or MFH2 driven by the SWMs.

14. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    Does MFH2 SWM require the full frequency spectrum?

Our MFH1 system has 5 separate services stacked on top of each other on a single coax line (including 2 separate D* systems, a basic cable service, OTA, et al) and there are residents here who currently get D* in their living room but the free cable service in their bedroom. Will that still be possible w/MFH2 SWM?

15. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    MFH-1 uses 950-3,450 MHz

MFH-2 uses 950-1,850 MHz

The analog bulk channels are in the CATV band of 54-860 MHz.

16. djjolietjake

djjolietjake Cool Member

Apr 7, 2008
    This is true. MFH1 will work in conjunction with MFH2 but it would have to have a separate home run to the unit. The units I'm dealing with have multiple home runs (4) so that they have a choice of SAT TV or cable (and a few units DO have both).:lol:

17. Stephen M. Smith

Stephen M. Smith Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    Yep, I'm gonna be pulling another coax from the communcations closet in the hallway. 4 runs? That must be nice!