1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MFH2 and OTA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ILiveOnWacker, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILiveOnWacker

ILiveOnWacker AllStar

Jun 14, 2007
    My building got upgraded to MFH2 over the past week and my unit's upgrade was today. Everything went pretty well, but the installer said that there is no way to hook the OTA antenna up to the system.

Not a big deal since "most" of the locals are coming through the satellite, but we don't get any of the sub channels. I was also expecting to beable to use both sat. tuners and OTA tuners.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the OTA antenna hooked up?

Thanks

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Your building engineers would have to diplex in the signal.

And if they truely have an MFH-2 solution..
    Then there is an OTA input on every one of the SWM-8 modules..

You would just need a diplexor on your end.

3. ILiveOnWacker

ILiveOnWacker AllStar

Jun 14, 2007
    I have a diplexor and installed it on my end with no avail. I guess they didn't hook up the antenna to the swm modules.

4. ktabel01

ktabel01 Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    Who is your provider here in Chicago?

5. ILiveOnWacker

ILiveOnWacker AllStar

Jun 14, 2007
    USA Wireless Satellite TV

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Back before DirecTV was offering standard definition locals, MDU operators would often support and even enhance the existing terrestrial antenna MATV headends so that they could better compete with franchised cable. Then, once the spot beam satellites were operational, they would deliberatly let them deteriorate so as to induce their customers to pay the extra $5 or $6 a month that DirecTV used to charge for locals. I wound up taking over the service of several MATV terrestrial reception headends because the residents who were on MATV only, with no cable or satellite, felt it was better to pay me to repair them than to get jerked by companies that were supposed to be repairing them for free but not diligently doing so.

Does DirecTV's present subscription pricing structure in any way dissuade the DirecTV system operator from assuring the availability of broadcast HDTV signals?

7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Considering that the OTA aspects of the receiver... are enabled by the same $9.99 HD Access fee that activates the HD channels...

I don't see where the pricing structure is setup in a way to limit the OTA.

In this case.

I am guessing the building/installer... didn't want to go through the work/cost of splitting the OTA signal to all the SWM8 modules (as they do support diplexing)

8. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    MFH-2 diplexors have to be NAS 9501 units.
    There is a 2.3 MHz communication channel within the SWM network. The 9501 places this with the >950MHz Sat arm. Other diplexors even if rated <5Mz put that signal on the OTA 5-860 MHz arm and SWM make not work well.
    Not my mandate just the party line Directv is putting out.

Doctor j

9. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'm not outfitted to evaluate diplexer rolloffs below 5 MHz, so I will have to rely on published specs, but I have to wonder if the NAS 9501 can be diplexed with cable internet that uses an upstream frequency of 10.5 MHz, as it does in Washington, DC. FWIW, I have no trouble getting high speed internet's 10.5 MHz upstream signal to adequately pass through Sonora diplexer paths that are rated to pass 15 MHz to 860 MHz. It might take some seriously steep rolling off to have cutoff points between 2.3 MHz and 10.5 MHz.

How much are they charging for NAS 9501s? I've liked paying about a dollar each for Holland 5MHz to 860 MHz diplexers.

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    From www.nasproducts.com website:

The specs indicate that it will pass low frequency cable modem upstream signals.

It could well be that most or all off-the-shelf diplexers also pass up to 2.3 MHz on the DC/22KHz path, but that DirecTV has not yet formally certified any of them.

11. DirecTv Chicago

DirecTv Chicago Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    What receiver model are you using? H21 or HR21 do not have off air tuners built into the receiver. You could diplex directly into your tv if your tv had an off air tuner, but to the best of my knowledge you would not be able to go through either one of those receivers.

And in most cases this would not be a concern as the majority of the stations will be picked up on the 5 LNB.

12. ILiveOnWacker

ILiveOnWacker AllStar

Jun 14, 2007
    I have an HR-20 and an H-21. I know that the H-21 doesn't have OTA ability but the HR-20 does. I know it isn't a huge deal, but I would like the ability to record from OTA. There are also some programs that I enjoy watching on PBS which does not currently come in over the satellite.

Is this something I should bring up with the installer or am I out of luck?

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Where are you in relationship to The Sears Tower and the Hancock.

You are probably going to be better off get a small indoor UHF antenna, to get all the signals from the Tower... the only one on the Hancock, I think is CBS.

14. ILiveOnWacker

ILiveOnWacker AllStar

Jun 14, 2007
    I am about 10 blocks north/west of the sears tower. I see it out of my window. If I get one of the indoor antennas, can I just hook it up to the HR-20 and it will work just about the same?

15. ktabel01

ktabel01 Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    Live just off wacker, and an indoor antenna hooked up to the HR20 works pretty nicely.

16. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    As far as I knew there was no 2.3Mhz communication channel. I think the SWM8 has its channels at the following frequencies.
    1 - 974
    2 - 1076
    3 - 1178
    4 - 1280
    5 - 1382
    6 - 1484
    7 - 1586
    8 - 1688
    9 - 1790

there are nine channels, eight are for the satellite channels and the ninth is for communication between the SWM8 and the receivers.

I've not seen any other references to a 2.3MHz channel for SWM.....and my SWM handles OTA quite nicely with a regular diplexer...

17. kliff11

kliff11 New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I also live in Condo Building in Chicago serviced by USA Wireless. They are implementing the MFH2 solution today. The installer is telling me I can't get my OTA channels anymore - "not technically possible". I was previously hooked up the the OTA on our roof. If this is true I'll loose many local HD channels. Is this correct? USA Wireless told me on the phone they could hook this up and now the installer doesn't think its possible.

18. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    MFH-2 is structurly designed to work with OTA.

The core of the setup (the SWM-8 modules), have a specific input for OTA... for that reason. It even says so right on the SWM-8 Module.
    (And newer documentation for the SWM-8's state that the OTA is specifically for MDU installatiosn)

As for the HD that you will lose:

The HD Locals that you will lose in Chicago is WCIU, WTTW...
    WCIU will most likely be coming around the time baseball season starts.
    WTTW is slated to come once the contracts for the PBS affiliates are complete.

WPWR, I don't think carries any HD content anymore...

I do think there is another PBS out there, but can't recall if it is in the Chicago DMA or not.

All the other Chicago stations broadcasting in HD are carried via SAT
    (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW) and of course CSN

19. kliff11

kliff11 New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    The installer got it to work. I don't know exactly what he did in the communications closet but in my condo he initially tried using a Skywalker Diplexer (5-2300MHz) and it would freeze the signal. He took that off and then used a Tradewind HR S2 2 Way Splitter (5-2400MHz) and it worked. I have all the OTA and Sat HD stations working now and can finally record 2 shows at once.

20. DirecTv Chicago

DirecTv Chicago Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Can the OTA work on MFH2, yes. Do system operators want to continue to service OTA after the majority of channels are now available on the new system, No.

There is alot of work involved to keep local HD channels at an acceptable level. Some buildings have no issues, others based on location have to have them tuned weekly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.