1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MGM HD No Longer Interrupting Movies??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by paulman182, Jul 26, 2010.

1. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    A few months back there was some controversy about MGM-HD inserting promos into its movie showings. I continued to record from the channel because movies are otherwise not cut and it is not too hard to FF thru the promos.

However, the last couple of movies I have watched from the channel are not interrupted. They have promos between movies, but not during any I have seen lately.

This is a kind of "heads up" to those who gave up on the channel due to the interruptions, try it now and see if they are gone. I'd like to know if it is certain times of day, certain movies, or if they are back to having no interruptions.

I didn't know the best forum to post this in--mods, as always, feel free to move it!

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That's good to hear. Now if AMC would only do the same....

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've noticed the same thing. Let's hope they keep it this way all the time.

4. Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II Legend

Jul 6, 2008
    I recorded "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" a few weeks back and it had two interruptions but other than that, the movie itself looked to be intact.

If this has now stopped, I feel better. There are a few movies on there that are worth having!

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Seems as though the longer movies, 2 hours or so, usually have an "intermission" with a plug for a up coming movie.

6. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    Boy that would be something. AMC used to be my favorite channel. I can't even watch it now. I know I can DVR programs but most of the movies are all edited to within an inch of their lives as well. It's a shame.

But back on topic it's great that MGM isn't interrupting their movies. Honestly I could live with theirs but it's nice not having them just the same.

7. steevew6

steevew6 AllStar

Sep 21, 2007
    Since I dropped all of my Premium Channels I have been watching the uninterrupted movies on TCM, HDNet Movies and IFC....it would be great to have MGM in this group!

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Outstanding. They often have great movies - and just as often, clunkers - with excellent picture quality.

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    That would be nice! I'm boycotting MGMHD due to promos. Keep me updated please!

10. kmax

kmax AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Picture quality wise...I thought that movie looked phenomenal on MGMHD.

11. abbatazappa

abbatazappa Cool Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I've watched a few movies this week on MGM...all had "intermissions", either promos for other movies or one of those horrid mesothemalona lawyer commercials. Also, they are putting banners across the bottom of the screen during the movie..."Watch MGM Drive-In This Saturday!"...once the banner was up during the title sequence of the movie I was watching and covered up part of the title. Finally, the MGM logo is still there in the lower right, all the time.

Absolutely unacceptable practices!!!!!!!

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dang! Boycot is still on!

13. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    That is probably a commercial that is inserted by D*. There are certain limited spots that they are allowed to place their own ads.

14. frank_gore

frank_gore Mentor

Mar 17, 2009
    I can't believe some people that complain about a few commercials interrupting their movies. MGM is doing that to show you what other movie titles you can watch on their network. They put the banner advertisements for those that pass over the channels via DVR or DirecTV's commercial spots.

Anybody that calls these things "unacceptable practices" is unbelievably ignorant and really need to take a class in advertising and/or marketing. If it really pisses you off that much with that stuff in your movies, I suggest you throw out DirecTV entirely and purchase every movie on DVD or Bluray.

Wow.

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    We were spoiled because when we got MGM it was commercial free like TCM or HBO, etc. Then they added in the programming breaks. I just don't watch it anymore, AMC did the same thing.

16. frank_gore

frank_gore Mentor

Mar 17, 2009
    At least for now MGM still shows the movies uncut, and nothing commercially is retail (except DirecTV's ad replacements). I see nothing wrong with it, with the exception of the 75% of movies I don't care about on the network.

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    also the MGM stuff on VOD 1000 is in 1080P and commercial free / uncut.

Now where is Fox Movie Channel HD?

18. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    It's not like they show a lot of commercials. I've DVR'd about a dozen movies off MGM-HD in the last month at different times of the day, then edited them to my PC. All of them had one two-minute break at roughly the 90-minute mark or so -- but that's about it. Would be nice if they were commercial free, but it could be worse.

19. Dish97

Dish97 AllStar

Dec 19, 2009
    Seems to be "hit & miss", commercial wise.
    After reading this thread last week, I recorded "Stardust Memories". It was interrupted by a commercial break. So I deleted. But this morning's showing of "Witness For The Prosecution" had no commercial break. It did contain at the start a small 10 second banner opposite the MGM logo touting their facebook & twitter sites. But the 16X9 presentation was an improvement over HBO's 4X3 version currently being shown. So for now I guess I'll keep it.
    Hopefully HDNet Movies will repeat as I lost their version during the EHD deletion debacle.

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    HDNET MOVIES does a lot better job.