1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami-Dade sues DIRECTV

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Nick, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1 of 28
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Responding to complaints, Miami-Dade's consumer protection agency accused
    DIRECTV in a lawsuit of using misleading advertising and contract disclosures.
    More @ MiamiHerald.com

2. Aug 2, 2010 #2 of 28
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Wow... 80 complaints per year...

3. Aug 2, 2010 #3 of 28
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    :lol::lol::lol:

4. Aug 2, 2010 #4 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And maybe the cable co there is different, but here I didn't expect the fees that TWC charged. The remote is extra? Or quotes on phone service with the telco and with universal access, 911 and other fees and taxes added at least $10 to the quoted price.

I figured it was just standard practice.

5. Aug 2, 2010 #5 of 28
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    They needed lawyers to tell them this? :scratchin

6. Aug 2, 2010 #6 of 28
    roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I've always found it funny TWC charges for a remote. I wonder if other cable companies do that too?

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 28
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    80 complaints per year isn't the point. Miami-Dade joins yet another group suing DirecTV. Several state attorneys general and other officials are joining the sue DirecTV bandwagon.

Quite honestly, some of DirecTV's contract practices are rather shady.

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 28
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah, that DVR, installation, additional receiver, and HD access fee are hidden deep in the text, so far in the contract that you totally couldn't see them in the chart that details your bill every month and shows you exactly what you will pay on each bill for 2 YEARS when you sign up.

More frivolous lawsuits from idiots that can't read a legally binding contract. Some people are so stupid. Yes, the contract is a page long of small text. It takes maybe 5 minutes to read the whole thing before you sign it. Big deal. Quit being so lazy, read what you are signing, and quit crying because you suck at life. Their complaint should be thrown out and they should have to pay for costs on both sides of the time and resources they wasted.

Just like the people that lease receivers and are too stupid to send them back and get charged a non-equipment fee. Instead of looking at that little yellow paper that details it all for you, they b**ch and moan to whoever will listen instead, then they keep the receiver and get charged $400 on top of the $200 they spent to lease it, instead of just returning it and only "losing" $200 instead of $600.

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 28
    gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    AMEN! matt1124 and just as a few(~300) slam D*, I would love to hear the stories regarding Comcrap and Scamverse. Those have to be in the 1000s.
    I have yet to find one person down here in Miami-Dade that has installed Uverse(aka Scamverse) or Cable and not had some issue with AT&T or the later. Sometimes I have to say it is these companies' fault, but for those most part, people are not careful and install and upgrade and add all the bells and whistles to these services and then later get a bill only to realize that it is to much money or not what they needed. "They had no idea" really translates to they did not read the fine print

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    There is a big difference between an "idiot" and someone who misunderstands a contract, or fails to read it because he accepts the claims at face value.

My 82 year old father signed up for DirecTV and he was one of the sharpest guys I knew...about certain things. Reading the fine print on contracts was not one of them, and so he complained to me on a monthly basis that his bill was higher than it should have been.

But an "idiot?" I'd sure like to have that "idiot" around to advise me on HVAC, or plumbing issues, or when my lawn mower or car craps out...

Hopefully all of us will be able to keep up with changing times and stay right on top of things like this, but somehow I doubt it.

11. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    As i sit here pondering my post to this situation. I see a comercial for Directv. It says on the comercial at there site. Free HD DVR, Free HD for life. Our best package (free) for 5 months. Then underneath in the real fine print, just sign up for the NFL package for $ 59.99 per month for (5) months. It says other fees apply. It doen't say what these fees are. But it says right up front FREE HDDVR. So I being a new customer would assume the HD DVR is mine to keep and there is no charge to use it. But as we all know on the boards here this is not true. So in my opinion we have the old bait and switch tactic in play here. This is also what the states attorney general, the city attorney generals and others will say. If you are going to advertise a product, then you should be required by law in my opinion to put up everything in BIG BOLD letters. I mean everything. So the public knows exactly what they get for there money. But instead the corporations as a whole has decided that small very fine print will be ok. I do not think this is OK. Hopefully after losing a few lawsuits and paying back customers for there UNHONEST practices they will start to do the right thing. This is why also I think the government needs to be involved more with the cable, satelitte, u-verse, and whoever wants to sell a product of this nature to the general public. Yes in my opinion they do need to be sued to set them on the right path for honest customer service as a whole.

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Unfortunately there is some Catch 22 going on to assist in these situations...and not just for DirecTV...but all providers. Requirements for legal disclosures end up creating reams of tiny paragraphs of disclosure content.

Unless you read it all...you could have "surprises".

I don't consider anyone who doesn't read all that fine print or understand it any less of a customer or person, but then again....if there is disclosed information in there....and later on it becomes a bone of contention...they have only themselves to blame.

The courts are filled with plenty of frivolous lawsuits, but...

On the other hand....all the providers seem to tip toe up to the line of accuracy and disclosure in their commercials, which may be legal, but obviously can confuse some folks as well. That's not right either.

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    When I used the term idiot, I mean, as Merriam-Webster puts it, a foolish person, not one of any mental handicap. I mean no disrespect to your father specifically, but signing a contract without reading it is, IMHO, foolish. And yes, I do read every contract, fully, before I sign, and yes, I make sure I understand it before I sign it.

14. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    I totally agree. Comcast won't give you a detailed 2-year cost chart like DirecTV, in fact DirecTV's is probably the easiet to read, and it overestimates the cost, since you can cancel the free movie channels they give you for 3 months or whatever it is.

15. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Maybe DirecTV should be required to give potential customers a wretten exam on all of the disclosures to force people to read/understand them... no pass, no tv for you...

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Before somebody agrees to a two year commitment, I think it's reasonable to tell them how much it's going to cost them.

New customers would call into a CSR twice, once at the beginning of the install and once at the end. During the first conversation, which would be recorded, a CSR would explain what's going to happen and what the charges would be. That the customer had a 24 hour cancellation window would also be explained. The customer would have to agree to all of this before the install would even begin. No sense wasting the installers time and equipment on a customer that says, Whoa - I didn't think it would cost that much.

The installer would call in once more at the end of the install for activation and to clear any add-ons that came about during the install. The CSR would give him both the monthly cost and what the initial charges would be, so those figures could be written into a contract the customer would sign.

What's so tough about this?

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    What I find surprising is all the disguised fees from the phone company that they get away with.

On your phone bill you probably have something like "regulatory fee" or "Telecommunications Act Surcharge".

Neither are mandated taxes, not required by law but the wording makes you think they are regulated/mandated charges by a taxing authority They are purely fees to pad our bill for their cost of doing business. But Miami Dade and other muncipalities don't seem to chase those.

18. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    From today's news...

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That's an update...but not real news.

The whole service termination issue - for satellite and cable both...has been going on for many years. The same thing occurs in the mobile phone business, and even land line phone service - terminate early -pay a huge penalty fee.

It may stink, but its not uncommon nor unique to one industry. Disclosures include all the information on how these work.

Problem is....most folks simply don't read it. No personal responsibility for making a decision, and then later on...when it isn't ideal to what someone wants....a "complaint" comes up.

All that said, perhaps they simply need to make that part larger print and bold, or else have as a separate disclosure altogether. People also need to fess up that they have a personal responsibility to read the fine print or else stop complaining.

20. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Many fall or are taken by what that old line says "If it sounds to good to be true it probably is" :lol:
    IMO Directv is a great company with great costomer service and oh yeah. an awsome product, but that being said, they are also in it to make MONEY!:D
    Should the print be larger, sure, should the terms be easier to understand, definately, but marketing and legal depts probably don't think so. Marketing 101 dictates the use of practices that many of us find wrong. Look at the recent DISH 200+ HD channels ads. How many fell into that?
    FREE is the hook, the fine print is the sinker.:mad:
    We as consumers must understand that WE are always at risk of being prayed upon by companies selling things, that is the nature of it. Yes it sometimes leads to unethical practices but that isn't new.
    I think it was P.T. Barnum that said "there is a sucker born every minute"
    Do everything possible on your part not to be the "sucker":grin: