1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michigan vs. MSU in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dlang615, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 2, 2007 #1 of 14
    dlang615

dlang615 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    While looking @ my program guide for this game for Saturday on ABC it does NOT have the "HD" logo listed by the game. On ESPN it lists Michigan @ MSU or Cincinatti vs. South Florida and this does have an "HD" logo. This suprises me that this would not be in HD. On hdsportsguide.com it says it will be. Does anyone have the answer?

2. Nov 2, 2007 #2 of 14
    terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    It probably depends on where you are. If you're getting the game on ABC, then probably, if you're getting it on the "Reverse Mirror" (ESPN) then probably not as you'll get it on a ESPN alternate.

3. Nov 2, 2007 #3 of 14
    jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Thats incorrect, MSU v U of M will in in HD on ABC on most of the east coast, the rest of the country will get it in HD on ESPN as part of the reverse mirror. It is the only 3:30pm game that is in HD. ABC will have 2 8:00pm games that are HD.

4. Nov 2, 2007 #4 of 14
    terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    I would like for you to be right, but that hasn't been the case yet this season. I suppose the only difference this week (as you pointed out) would be that it's the only HD game on at 3:30 (which is a somewhat recent change). The problem is that the blackout will probably be poorly applied which will prevent the game from being in HD for those not receiving this game on ABC. Not to mention with other weirdness with ABC in previous weeks that has caused even those in the covered region from getting the game in HD, I would still give it a "probably in HD" at best.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #5 of 14
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Despite all the rumors, no one has reported seeing a second ESPN HD feed at any time. All the secondary feeds have been SD that I have heard of to this point.

Now, is the UM/MSU game primary on ESPN? Probably not. If it is, then it will be in HD wherever ESPN has the game. If not, probably SD where it is not available on ABC.

Coverage map:
    http://assets.espn.go.com/espntv/topics/coveragemaps/11307abc330pm.jpg

6. Nov 2, 2007 #6 of 14
    jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    MSU v U of M will be the primary game on ESPN (and HD) for anybody outside of the ABC Regional feed of the game

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 14
    heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Michigan at Michigan State and Cincinnati at South Florida are the 2 ABC regional games available in HD. Texas at Oklahoma State and UCLA at Arizona are the 2 ABC regional games that are only available in SD.

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 14
    heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I'll try and check ESPN HD on Comcast this weekend, but I have seen a regionally mirrored game on ESPN2 HD on Comcast that D* had blacked out.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 14
    gobucks100

gobucks100 AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    The question will be is it an actual HD broadcast or an upconverted SD on ESPNHD on Comcast in Big 10 country? We know that on cable companies, when Big 10 game is on ABC in HD, the reverse mirror game is on the cable company's ESPNHD channel. Just dont know if HD or upconverted SD.

D* handles the reverse mirror game by blacking out the main ESPNHD channel where game is on local ABC and showing the reverse mirror game on an ESPN alt channel in SD. D*'s ESPNHD channel is a national feed. D* has not set up the capability to show different games in different areas of the country on the same channel number. They handle this using the alt channel.

There is no question that there are 2 HD feeds out there as the USF game will be in HD on local ABC assigned this game. The question is does D* have the license to broadcast this HD feed or have they not set up the capability to have an HD ESPN alt channel. If cable in B10 country is showing the USF game in HD on ESPN while showing UM/MSU in HD on ABC, that to me points to a lack of capability vs license to broadcast the HD feed at D*.

LIving outside of B10 country, the lack of an HD ESPN alt channel does not effect today, but I want to see D* get it up and running so it does not effect me on some future event that may be on ESPN alt channel in my area.

If you have access to a cable company ESPNHD channel in an area where the UM/MSU game is on the local ABC station, please report back what you see. HD, upconverted SD or black out.

Thanks

10. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Just because there is no HD icon next to the show or game in the guide doesn't mean it won't be in HD. Just going to have to wait and see.

11. dlang615

dlang615 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    The last time ABC/ESPN had a reverse Mirror game was Penn State/Mich and OSU/Northwestern. Here in Ohio I got OSU/Northwestern on both ABCHD and ESPNHD and picked up Mich/Penn St. on an ESPN alt channel in Standard definition. Stupid!

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, I just started watching it on ESPNHD and it's SD (although the guide has the HD logo).

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    edit: Just went back in the theater room and now it's in HD. Weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.