1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Microsoft Surface Pro 2

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Sep 27, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    So I'm reading volumes, most of it negative, about the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 even though it appears nobody really has one, when it suddenly dawns on this old computer nerd that the word "apps" - as in Apple has hundreds of thousands more apps - really means "software." Now I knew this, but I'm a little slow in my old age and I do know that those hundreds of thousands more iPad apps are useless to me.

It was then that I realized the Surface Pro 2, with the keyboard of course, might actually let me use a tablet for virtually everything I do on my computer, and without the keyboard virtually everything I do on my iPad. I don't know why I didn't realize that possibility sooner. And it may be conceivable that I might never upgrade to a Windows 8 desktop or laptop computer. And while I don't have some enterprise with hundreds of employees using Windows computers, I "work" like I do.

It's weird. I have all the various Kindle and Amazon software and iTunes elements on my Windows computer. I assume that all will run on a Surface Pro 2 and so I can use it to read books just like my iPad. I can watch video from Amazon and Netflix and my Slingbox and virtually any video source on the web, including iTunes, on my Windows computer. I assume that will run on a Surface Pro 2. I can play music from "the cloud", whether it's Amazon or iTunes.

I cannot do well on my iPad Excel spreadsheets or use WordPerfect or Corel Paintshop Pro or a host of other stuff I do on my computer, but maybe I can do those on a Surface Pro 2? And run Firefox with Java and Flash and run Thunderbird so I wouldn't have to drag my laptop along if I go somewhere?

So the question is for those of you who have a Surface Pro, does the Surface Pro v.1 essentially run most Windows software reasonably well? And why, again, would I upgrade to an iPad 2 or later, which is nifty but so, so limited, if I can comfortably read a Kindle book, post here, get my mail, do my books on Quicken, etc. etc.

How would having a Surface Pro 2 - instead of a laptop and a tablet running a different OS - not be a better idea? The only real downside I see is that it is heavier than my iPad which might be a problem for reading in bed. Yes, I know it's more expensive than other tablets, but if I don't need my computer.....

I would appreciate any serious thoughts.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Honestly, I don't know why so many are negative on it. There is a lot of hate for the Windows 8 GUI, but it actually makes some sense for a touch interface.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The Windows 8 GUI sucks if you DON'T have a touchscreen.

1 person likes this.
  4. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    4.99 for start 8 and you are rid of the interface, or wait for 8.1 which will bring the start button back

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, that's why I haven't gone forward to upgrade from 7. And it's why I'm inquiring about the Surface Pro 2, hardware which seems to allow for the best of all worlds for someone who uses Windows software (or apps, if you prefer)..

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    With the docking station, it might be the last desktop that I'd need. . . not that I'm going anywhere, I just think desktops are on the way out.

Kinda pricey with all the accessories.

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've been using Windows 8 since June and have been very happy with it. I boot to the desktop already but I have used a couple of the tiled apps too. There are a fair number of keyboard shortcuts that help considerably, but I don't really miss not having the touch interface. My keyboard has a sleep button and I have a shut-down button on my desktop. HP has a Quick Start program that acts as a reasonable substitute for Windows Start menu.

I have owned an iPod Touch for three years now and am quite familiar with touch gestures on that device.

Windows Secrets recommends a large Logitech TouchPad for use with Windows 8 if you really want to use the touch interface with a desktop machine.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    8.1 brings back a start button, not the old Windows start menu. That is what most people really want, and what Start 8 gets you.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Only sorta...

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    If you right click you get some of the old start menu options.

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    You're not alone.

Surface shares the same "Sesame Street user interface" as it's simpler cousin WIN8. UGH.

That said, I absolutely love the new side-by-side Surface tablet commercials with the Siri-speaking iPad confessing to all the major shortcomings in the iPad.

You have another alternative to both Surface/WIN8 and iOS.iPad - Android. In terms of your concerns on MS Surface apps - there are now more than 150,000 Android apps. Just an FYI to consider.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I like those ads but I had just ignored them in terms of having meaning for me. It wasn't until I started looking at reviews and specs of the Surface Pro 2 that I realized it might actually function as a Windows 8.1 OS computer. The information is not as clear as I would like, but apparently it has an HD-out, an audio out, can connect to a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and offers USB drive connectivity. My old befuddled brain started thinking that before my Windows 7 over-powered computer fails, as it inevitably will someday, I might transition to a Surface Pro 2 replacing both my computer and my iPAD 1 making me actually and fully computer mobile using a tablet.

I was hoping someone who uses the Surface Pro 1 might reflect on the reality of that thought.

13. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Chalk it up to Microsoft's lousy marketing. The pro and pro 2 are full fledged windows 8 laptops without keyboards. Other than the minuscule screen they're great.

I have the original surface rt and it's merely okay.

14. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Isn't the new 'Pro' just a relabeled RT and won't run regular Windows applications. That's what I got out of a couple of articles I found.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No, Pro is full Windows. the Surface 2 is RT, Surface Pro 2 is not. They basically dropped the RT from the product name.

16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's a link to the PDF spec sheet I downloaded from Microsoft. I'd like more details but I can't seem to find such a sheet.

The reviews have been very misleading because they aren't very careful to distinguish between the Surface, which IMHO is clearly a "tablet" depending on "apps", and the Surface Pro, which is clearly a "computer" in tablet format which runs "software" and "apps."

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I saw that same pdf and until I see more than it runs 'Office', I'd be very wary.

Or take some app (on a usb stick) and see if it'll install.

18. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Actually, that spec sheet is for the Pro and it says:

I'm "wary" but hopeful. I think this review is the typical confusing review Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2: Impressive hardware specs, but meaningless without the software ecosystem :

But then he gets to the point of comparing and he tellingly confuses the Surface with the Surface Pro and in two sentences negates the entire review:

I don't get the "killer app" thing. If it turns out one can run every piece of software that will run in the Windows 8.1 environment, what are the "killer" apps I just couldn't live without since I will still have my iPhone fastened to my belt when away from home? I know exactly how the lack of truly usable software comparable to and effectively compatible with what's on my desktop computer keeps me from buying any new tablet beyond my iPad 1.

19. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I based my comments on that Extreme Tech article and an equally confusing one from CNet. I'm not sure why no one can say that it runs anything from Windows that you can throw at it. I want things like the DOS Visual Basic to run.

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Can you use a mouse with the SP2? My disability limits me to using a mouse and not able to use touchscreens.