1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Might switch to FIOS - Hows the DVR?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by mikefour77, Apr 30, 2013.

1. mikefour77

mikefour77 Mentor

Jan 24, 2011
    So, I am considering a switch to FIOS, but I have had a hard time trying to get some information about the DVR, like how much will it store, can you attach an external HD, how many shows can you record at once.... all that jazz.

I currently have DTV, so that is my baseline.

2. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    The 7232 DVR has two tuners and a 500GB hard-drive. It will store about 45-60 hours of MPEG2 HD, probably 50 is a good number, while the future VMS1100 Media Server will have a 1TB hard-drive claimed to handle 100 hours of HD. The 7232 DVR does support an external eSATA hard-drive for additional capacity.

3. May 1, 2013 #3 of 36
    mikefour77

mikefour77 Mentor

Jan 24, 2011
    Well, that makes me feel better. On their web site they say that the DVR will hold "up to 20 hours of HD", which for my house is simply not enough.

If you attach the external hard drive, does it disable the internal HDD in the same manner as the DTV DVR, or does it add on the space on the external HDD?

4. May 1, 2013 #4 of 36
    Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I've not tried it myself, but it states that the eSATA drive is additive, with a maximum allowed of 2TB external.

5. May 1, 2013 #5 of 36
    gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    How many channels can be recorded simultaneously?

6. May 1, 2013 #6 of 36
    Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Two tuners, similar to the DirecTV HR24. The VMS1100 will have 6.

7. May 1, 2013 #7 of 36
    mikefour77

mikefour77 Mentor

Jan 24, 2011
    You all have been very helpful. Alright, one more question.

If I were to get multiple DVRs to get additional tuners, does FIOS have similar functionality to the Whole Home service with DTV? Can I play from one DVR a show recorded on another DVR?

8. May 1, 2013 #8 of 36
    Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep.it's called "Multi-Hub DVR" and it's a few dollars more per month.

Regular MRV: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiostv/receivers/multi-room+dvr/multi-room+dvr.htm

Multi-Hub MRV: http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/receivers/multi-room+dvr/questionsone/129824.htm

9. May 1, 2013 #9 of 36
    mikefour77

mikefour77 Mentor

Jan 24, 2011
  10. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    Make sure you get a 7232 or the Cisco equivalent. They both are BLACK, not gray. Don't let the installer leave you with an earlier model DVR.

The 7232 is leaps and bounds faster than any D* DVR,

The eSATA drive is additive.

The multiroom feature works, but get HD boxes. You can't stream HD recordings to an SD set-top box.

11. mikefour77

mikefour77 Mentor

Jan 24, 2011
    Right now, I have three DTV DVRs, so I overall have 6 tuners but really only use four. Plus, we tend to hang onto alot of content. For example, we have about 20 shows taped at any given time for my daughter to watch, plus all the regular stuff for my wife and I, so the available space is a big deal for me.

I would need at least 4 tuners to replicate my current set up, so I am thinking of getting the multiroom DVR, a second DVR, and one HD set top box. As long as they can all comminucate with one another (al-la Whole Home), then we are business.

Seeing as I have never used a DVR outside of DTV, I am full of nervous trepidation!

12. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Spot on, Mike. two DVRs + an HD STB, and you're all set.

There used to be a difference between "multi-room" DVR and "multi-hub" DVR. Now they are all the same - any set-top box can play back content from anywhere (except that standard-def set-tops can only play SD content) so long as you have Multi-Room DVR on your account.

Great stuff - the biggest different from DirecTV's "whole home" is that with DirecTV, there is a Unified Playlist - all the shows are on a single list. With FiOS, when you look at your video recordings, there is a 'folder' for each DVR -- mine are labeled "Family Room", "Basement" and "Master Bedroom" specifically.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yea, I have 3 DVR's (no reg boxes) and they all like each other just fine. Only 2 gripes are is that I miss the unified playlist and I don't like the fact you can't fast forward more than 8X and there is no "large jump ahead" if what you are watching is on a "remote" DVR. There is on local box.

Example is I wanted to jump to the end of the recorded basketball game and it took FOREVER to get to it. On a "local" DVR you have a silly "thumbnail" option (which rarely shows thumbnails and when it does they are barely visible) that lets you easily & very quickly jump ahead in large increments. The moral of that story is record sports events on the DVR you plan on watching from. :)

The change takes some getting used to but eventually you do and with a couple exceptions I am very happy. Just make sure you get the 7232 DVR's because they have the larger HD's. They are still supplying 7216's some of which have upgraded HD's and some that do not. Supposedly all new installs get the 7232's (at least here in NJ). I'm saving well over $100/month with the triple play over my separate services when I had D* and that was my primary reason for the switch. In 2 years when my contract expires and the locked rate skyrockets I will have rethink it.

14. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    ... if only. My brother had a FiOS install the 1st week of April (new customer) and ended up with a 6416 DVR. The installer said they don't have any stock of 7232 or even 7216's at the garage. Ugh. He went through the set-top box replacement menu and it said he should have a new DVR mid-May. We'll see.

15. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I wonder if they thought that the VMS1100 was originally supposed to available by now.

16. mikefour77

mikefour77 Mentor

Jan 24, 2011
    So there is not ETA on the VMS1100? I tried looking a bit and didn't find anything. I would certainly much prefer to switch directly to this DVR box.

17. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    In 2011, the Media Server was expected "late 2012" and there were many articles and a video at the tale end of 2011.

At CES 2013 in January, there were a ton of articles and another video, all referencing the same official announcement at CES, with "very soon" for availability.

And then there was one article (Huffington) from the recent NAB conference that referenced "September".

Very little real information is available other then the 3 spurts of info (12/2011, 1/2013, 4/2013) referenced above.

18. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I would assume that's the case, yes.

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Maybe that was the problem, they looked in the GARAGE instead of the warehouse! :) I was told ALL new installs get 7232's, guess not. :shrug: What happened to me was I swapped out an HD receiver for my 3rd DVR and they shipped me a 7216 with 120GIG HD. Got me p1ssed so I drove over to the Woodbridge Mall Fios store and they told me they had no 7232's in stock so I called C.S. from my cell phone who called Woodbridge while I was there and I had a 7232 5 minutes later.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Guess every one of these companies is riddled with liars, huh? Enjoying FIOS?

Rich