1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milton Friedman, 500+ Economists Call for Marijuana Regulation Debate

Discussion in 'The OT' started by lee635, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2005 #1 of 25
    lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    "As Milton Friedman and over 500 economists have now said, it's time for a serious debate about whether marijuana prohibition makes any sense," said Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C."

link

2. Jun 2, 2005 #2 of 25
    odie

odie Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    This is just a pipedream. Every generation since the 60's has made the same claims. Hey I am all for it but it would never happen. Too bad because weed is a much safer drug than alcohol. No one any where ever has died from smoking too much weed. But on campuses across the world people die from alcohol poisoning at an alarming rate.

3. Jun 2, 2005 #3 of 25
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    They may not have died from it, but many have been turned into a total waste of perfectly good skin with it. I had some house mates (back in the early '70's) who used it every day. They were for the most part a waste of humanity. The experience of living with these people is one of the reasons that I never tried the stuff and feel that it should continue to be illegal. I have seen what it can do to people.

By the way, for those who don't know, Milton Friedman is an economist who, back when I was at the University of Minnesota, wrote the bible on economics that was used in nearly every college Economics class in the country. At the time he was a professor at the University of Chicago.

4. Jun 2, 2005 #4 of 25
    odie

odie Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Hey the same can be said of alcohol. The town drunk or the lush who left her kid in the car while at the local bar are a couple of examples. There are functioning alcoholics just as there are functioning weed heads. I know Doctors Lawyers and even a few cops who pass the pipe around and you would never even know it. I am not saying that pot has no risks but they are not as severe as alcohol. Weed is so misunderstood, there were times many moons ago where I was so drunk I threw up passed out and blacked out. Hours missing from my memory banks. That never ever happened with weed. I do not partake any more to set an example for my kids but I hope my kids stay clean but if given a choice I would rather have a pot head for a son than a drunk.

5. Jun 2, 2005 #5 of 25
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Ah, so, since alchohol, which you admit is bad for people is legal, pot, which you also sort of admit is bad for people, should also be made legal. Nah, I disagre.

6. Jun 2, 2005 #6 of 25
    odie

odie Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes it should be, there is really no reason for it to be illegal. The billions of dollars wasted in the futile attempts to purge weed form society has obviously failed. The DEA could be freed up to concentrate on drugs that actually kill people like herion and cocaine. The amount of jail space that would be freed up for real criminals like murders rapists and child molestors is unbelievable. Oh well no amount of discussion will ever change the fact that it is illegal and that people lives are ruined for the smallest amounts of the drug. I really feel safe that while the cops are busting johnny pothead real crimes against society are being committed because valuable law enforcement resources are wasting their time......

7. Jun 2, 2005 #7 of 25
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    No matter how many advocates of legalizing pot claim otherwise, pot IS a gateway drug to other drugs like herion and cocaine. People don't simply go from nothing to cocaine. Keep the gate closed.

8. Jun 2, 2005 #8 of 25
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    If you saw your family doctor drinking a beer at the beach or at some other public event would you think less of him? How about if you saw him smoking pot? Sorry but Marijuana is worse .

9. Jun 3, 2005 #9 of 25
    odie

odie Legend

Jan 14, 2004
    Well if it was legal I personally would not care.

For some people beer and liquor is a gateway drug to other drugs as well. And yes some people do use coke and H but have never touched pot.

Not every one who smokes weed is an evil brain dead looser. Nor is every drinker to be held in the same category. But at the same time there is people who drink alcohol or smoke weed every day and are contributing members of society. The only difference is the weed smoker has to hide in fear of arrest and loss of liberty because they choose to toke.

You can be closed minded and ignore the fact that police resources and valuable jail space is being wasted on marijuana users and sellers. It is just a waste of money to lock these people up.

Que sera sera.

10. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    I'll take the libertarian stance here. Those who waste their flesh or humanity by whatever means they choose should be allowed that choice. If I want to drink or smoke myself to death, or overdose intentionally or accidentally on heroin or cocaine, or spend my day on LSD staring at dirt, as long as I am not a burden on others(FYI, I take that "burden" lightly, worrying your parents is NOT a burden, stealing from them or others IS!), I should be allowed that choice.

People truely wanting not to waste their flesh or humanity will stop or indulge moderately, or will never start. Those who don't will be "wasted" and hopefully die young with a pretty corpse.

Harsh? Maybe. But it's called personal responsibility. YOU, and no one else are responsible for your person! Not your parents nor spouse nor brother or sister, and certainly not the government!

Make drugs legal and cheap. Those with the inclination can waste themselves and not my time.

11. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    You can't legislate morality. What they CAN do is realize that some people can use this without the fabric of society unravelling. Just like prohibition being repealed, and gambling becoming state sponsored, they can turn this into a plus by taxing it and regulating it. The savings to society from an economics standpoint will be huge, as money goes into government coffers instead of black market participants. The decriminalization will free up prison cells to house truly dangerous criminals (how many angry potheads have you met?).

To say nothing of what this will do for sales of McDonald's, Twinkies, and Doritos :lol:

I've always been a big fan of getting rid of most of the "victimless" crimes. Alcohol, Gambling, Prostitution, ... just about any of the vices that humans partake in to make their existences bearable, should be taxed and regulated. You could cut down on organized crime, cut prison and court costs, and cut the federal deficit in one fell swoop.

It will never happen with the current administration, but I agree that from an economic standpoint it makes sense. (And as an Economics major I can tell you that reducing Supply merely drives up prices and profits for those still in the "market".... Congrats boys you just raised the incentive to be a drug dealer by making it more lucrative to sell with the "war on drugs" raising their profit levels).

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Just think what cheap legal and safe drugs would do to organized crime. Talk about taking a bite out of crime, and their profits. As long as there is that huge profit incentive, the drug war will never be won. Every time you lock up or kill one "kingpin" another or two are willing to step into their place, for the chance at making those billions.

13. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    We should base our social policy, and decide who it is we want to be as a nation based on what liberal economists thing?

14. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    So, not only do you want to make the drugs cheap and legal, to make it easier for the 12 and 13 year olds to get ahold of, you want to convince them that its also safe to be stoned out of your mind.

Great plan!

15. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Where did I say anything about making it easier for 12 and 13 year olds to get ahold of drugs? Do you think they can't get ahold of them now? If they were regulated like cigarettes and alchohol it would be no easier and probably harder for children to have access to them. By the time I was 13 or 14, 37 years ago, I had access to any drug I wanted. You think its gotten harder for kids today?

16. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    I think that the cheaper they get, the easier it is for them to get. I don't think that's much of a debatable point.

17. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Heck, I guess now that the price of cigarettes is, what, $2 bucks a pack (I don't smoke and haven't for 30 years) kids have stopped smoking.

18. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDA_notes/NNvol19N1/tearoff.html

19. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I guess the theory is that if you can't beat 'em the government should turn 'em into a profit center.

20. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And the ONLY reason the smoking rate among kids has dropped is the price? I payed 50 cents back when I smoked. A couple of bucks is about the equivalent. I have no idea what a lid is going for today, but I found the money for that back then as well, and I'm sure kids today do as well. Adults seem more affected by price than kids.

I am not advocating increased drug use, I just feel we have approached the problem in a completely unrealistic manner. "Just say No" and arresting the suppliers will never solve the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.