1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Mini Genie searching for signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BrettRyan, Sep 14, 2013.

1. BrettRyan

BrettRyan New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Mini Genie "searching for signal" every time I pause, rewind, and/or fast forward and then play a program. Any others having this issue? Is this standard because of the client relationship with the Genie system?

Causes delays in viewing a program and is obviously annoying...

Thanks!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What is the exact on-screen message? It's not normal. It could be a message from your TV indicating that it's lost the video signal, or it could be a message from the Genie indicating that the satellite signal is lost. Please clarify with more details.

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Have you checked your Genie to see if you are getting that message on the actual receiver? If you are not getting it on the Genie itself, something is very wrong with your client. It could be a bad coax or splitter.

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    You shouldn't get a "searching for signal" only on the client. If the client loses IP connectivity to the server you get a full screen searching for server message.

The only way a "searching for signal" message would be generated is if the server itself has lost signal or if, like litzdog said, it's actually a message his TV is displaying when it loses HDMI connectivity during a resolution change

5. BrettRyan

BrettRyan New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    I think it is an error message from my TV - [SIZE=10.5pt]It's like the Genie Mini stops communicating with the TV and has [/SIZE]a slight delay – like a second or two with a black screen and it says "Searching for Signals" then comes back on. It is only on the Genie Mini – this same TV (Samsung LN-T1953H) was on a regular dvr (HR20) connected the same way (HDMI) before changing to the Genie system and didn’t have any issues .
    FWIW, the main Genie system is on my Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30 and doesn’t have this issue ant the other TV’s have the HR24’s and do not have this issue – all connected via HDMI.

6. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Does it happen on any program at all, or do you notice it happening only on SD shows or only on shows from a certain network?

Maybe try going into the settings of the Genie Mini and setting the resolution options to only one resolution, so that no matter what you watch it doesn't change the resolution it sends to your TV.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    +1
    Set the resolution to the highest your TV will do of the 720p or 1080i and take out the check marks from all others. This will eliminate the HDMI hand shake and probably fix your problem.

8. BrettRyan

BrettRyan New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    thanks for the input - still having the issue...might have to live with it. It happens on all and any programs, but only when pausing, fast fwd and rewinding and then play. I tried the changing the res to 720p only and 1080i only, but that didn't help.

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I'd recommend trying a component video connection, which would require Directv's 10-pin component cable.

10. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Are you certain that its a TV-generated message and not a DirecTV reciever-generated message? It sounds like it probably is your TV but if you could take a picture or describe it in more detail that would help.

Also, as ndole said, if you have the component cables for the Genie Mini you might try using that input on your TV.