1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Minimum distance for Power Injector to SWM-8

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cwdonahue, Oct 2, 2013.

1. cwdonahue

cwdonahue Legend

Jun 6, 2007
    A month or so ago, I was having all kinds of problems with the satellite signal randomly dropping in and out and the DirecTV installer narrowed it down to the SWM-8 I had installed years ago.

We had a thunderstorm the other day and were having signal issues, so I switched over to my off-air channels and noticed I have all kinds of pixellation and other weird problems. Off-air signals are unwatchable. However, signal strength test shows the signal is coming in quite well.

So, I took a look at my SWM and discovered the installer had replaced the 15' long piece of coax I had spooled up and connected between my Power Injector and my SWM-8. I believe a minimum distance of 15' was the rule when the SWM hit the market. I now have a shorty 18" or so piece of cable, since I had installed the PI about a foot away from the SWM.

Thus the question: Has anything changed relative to SWM-8 installations? Has the minimum distance between the PI and SWM-8 been reduced?

I have no idea if this may be the cause of my OTA issues, but things worked great with the installation I did many moons ago.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you are using the SWM1/PWR port for power, then the 15 ft is recommended. however, you can connect the "shorty" to the legacy 3 port to provide power to the dish with no limitation in cable length

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If there is a splitter between the PI and SWM1/PWR, it doesn't need to be 15'.

4. cwdonahue

cwdonahue Legend

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks, VOS. Haven't been on here in a while and glad to see you are still here helping the masses.

The original install (which I did) had a cable from the PI to SWM1/PWR. The DTV install replaced my 15' cable with a shorty and made the same connection, not a connection to Legacy 3. I had a feeling I'd have to put my 15' cable back.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    why not connect to legacy 3 if they are together?