1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum level of broadband service for DOD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TomCat, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 #1 of 47
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    What had been determined to be the minimum level of broadband internet service that can reliably:

1) download DOD HD movies and programs from DTV?

2) stream in real time HD movies and programs from DTV?

2. Dec 7, 2010 #2 of 47
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I haven't done any testing myself but based on other threads with some numbers I've seen thrown around on here I'd say 1.5mbps would be as low as I'd go.

3. Dec 7, 2010 #3 of 47
    drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    When I had 1.5MB DSL it took overnight to download an HD movie using VOD.

Dave

4. Dec 7, 2010 #4 of 47
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Even 6 Mb/s is not fast enough for real time, so for most people, real-time VOD is not possible. (for HD...I don't do much SD)

When I had 1.5 Mb/s, I would download movies overnight and watch them later, at my convenience.

So the real question is not what the minimum speed for VOD is, but rather, how well you need to plan your VOD viewing. As far as "real-time" VOD, that would require at least 10 Mb/s (as a guess), given how I've seen 6 Mb/s work. Some other people have probably actually measured the threshold necessary for real-time, perhaps they will comment.

5. Dec 7, 2010 #5 of 47
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I have 3mbps.
    Can d/l SD in real time and watch it.

With HD, have to d/l at least half the movie before I can watch it completely through.
    So a 2 hour movie means I have to d/l the first hour and then watch it. Not including 1080p.

This assumes no other use of my broadband connection consuming bandwidth during that time.

6. Dec 7, 2010 #6 of 47
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There are improvements coming soon that will make this better

7. Dec 7, 2010 #7 of 47
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Anything to do with HBO HD VOD?

8. Dec 7, 2010 #8 of 47
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That'll be around too, but I think there will be a way to load things faster .. Not quite sure how it will work.

9. Dec 7, 2010 #9 of 47
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Well, those spaceways with the configurable arrays are sitting up there doing nothing. And if I remember correctly, and in this case I do, they were originally designated for the Direcway fleet, ie for internet access.

I had DirecPC for a couple of years and in the middle of the night, it flew, so high speeds are possible.

So I can imagine a scenario where VOD orders are queued and then sent via satellite to a receiver at super high speeds. When the queue is too long, they use the regular broadband connection.

Just a thought

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Nice. Thanks for the hint.

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I do remember some talk in the investor presentation the other day about VOD streams directly from satellite.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Anyone know at what speed DirecTV maxes out the delivery?
    I'm sure they need to protect their servers and not allow those with high bandwidth to hog the stream.

Satellite delivery would be great.:)

13. epifano83

epifano83 Mentor

Oct 5, 2008
    I have my DOD hooked up to my Wilblue at 1.5mbps. But real world speeds are 1.2-1.4mbps.
    I am careful what I download and when, if not it will easily eat up my FAP. I FAP out at 17GB so I typically download only a few movies a month.

14. WB3FFV

WB3FFV Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    I have a 50meg connection at home, and actually a Gigabit connection at work, and I think the max speeds I have ever seen were in the 6-7meg range. So I am guessing they cap it somewhere in that range, as it seems to just flat top at that speed and stay there till the transfer is done.

So as Doug mentioned, if they actually open the pipe some as they say, you could get much greater speeds for sure. Heck ran a speedtest the other day from work, and got just under 700mpbs down, just think how fast you could xfer a movie at such rates, granted the receivers only have FastE. Still I think rates could easily be twice that speed, and at that point you would come close to being able to stream HD...

15. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Or just the first part of a program is sent at high speed, which can create a buffer that can fill the gaps in the rest of the delivery which could be slower and less reliable (broadband). That would be one model of virtual VOD.

There is talk, although I have not heard of a specific DTV connection, of making this available by sending the first 10-15 minutes of each PPV in push mode to everyone, so that movies could begin immediately and the download could catch up with the playback, because that part could be multicast to anyone who subscribed to that movie in the last 10-15 minutes rather than singlecast, all at the same time. Each person would watch at his own particular moment, the individual delays of which could be handled by the buffer.

16. alv

alv Godfather

Aug 13, 2002
    I have 10 MB/s and it is just barely able to download and watch in real time.

17. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I don't see how that's possible w/o 10TB of storage.
    Isn't there a plan to ad an additional [few hundred?] PPV titles [not to mention the 6000+ VOD,] and a good deal of each of those in HD?

18. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Its a matter of scale. Obviously its not possible for 6000 movies. But for the hot movies of the minute, completely doable. If a movie is 100 minutes on average and they push the first 10 minutes of 20 different movies, that takes the physical space of 2 full movies, right? And they have a pretty large reserved space on the HDD, IIRC.

It's not meant to be real VOD, but virtual or "near" VOD.

19. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    What is FAP? Is that a Monthly Allocation?

20. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...