1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missed recording on Planet Earth - Why?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by heiber, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heiber

heiber AllStar

Jan 3, 2007
    I set up a Series Link for Planet Earth to record first runs and repeats. Looked at the guide today and there was an episode that was not recorded for Pole to Pole. This hasn't been recorded yet. Now I have a couple of beefs:

- I have no idea why this wasn't recorded and don't see anything in the history
    - There are no future episodes listed to be recorded. I cannot find a way to look at the series link to check the settings. In the prioritizer, I can't select it to see the options. How do I see the settings?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The Pole to Pole episode caused problems when the series 1st ran. You had to record it separately. It's an issue with the way Discovery is coding the program for the guide that it doesn't show with the rest of the series.

3. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    I've had several Planet Earth's that haven't recorded, not just Pole-to-Pole. Its happened with other shows that I've set to "record all", too. I agree it must be a guide data problem, and the HR-20 is looking at the behind-the-scenes ID and not the actual program title.

4. heiber

heiber AllStar

Jan 3, 2007
    What about my other question - how do I see the Series Link settings if there are not any scheduled recordings? I've tried every way I can think of and can't figure it out.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Currently..you can't.
    All you can do is to delete the SL if there aren't any recordings scheduled. Pressing - - [dash dash] does this.

6. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I have Series Link set up for Planet Earth and Pole to Pole recorded as scheduled.
    I haven't missed a PE recording yet.
    You might want to delete the link and reset it up again. Just a thought.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Not true, if there are no scheduled recordings but you still have a recording from that SL still on your HR20 you can edit the SL settings when you select the saved recording.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Well I didn't know that....thanks
    I don't store anything after I watch it [I hate re-runs]. :)

9. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL

10. Woody_1

Woody_1 AllStar

Jan 10, 2007

11. spunkyvision

spunkyvision Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    I know it doesnt help but mine worked just fine
    *edit*- nevermind. Mine was recorded on my HR10-250

12. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Since reading about the Planet Earth Series on Discovery HD I set up a Series Link (First Runs only - I know living on the edge :D ) for it on my HR20 using the current national release and it recorded all of them correctly and put them all in the same group. I did however have one of them that claimed it recorded but when I went to watch it I got the instant do you want to delete this program message :nono2:

To be fair I do not blame the HR20 for this - This was not so long after getting my HD Upgrade installed which included a new dish and an installer (oops make that 3) that didn't have a clue. So I think that I might have lost signal when this was scheduled to be recorded - I can't be sure as it doesn't record the 771 message. Since then I managed to get lucky in the "Installer Roulette" and had someone that peaked my dish with awesome signals.

13. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I also missed some. But what's interesting is that after I recorded the ones I missed, I find that Planet Earth is split on my recorded list into two groups, one with the original Planet Earth recordings and the other with the new ones.

14. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    purtman, I've seen that before with other shows. I'm guessing that some shows get assigned two different IDs, so the HR20 treats them as separate series links (and groupings on the Listing).

15. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    I have had the same thing happen to me with the "Dog Whisperer".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.