1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bdisbrow, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bdisbrow

bdisbrow New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I planted a 5 LNB dish today. All seemed good early on but...

Currently I have only one line running from my dish location. When I hook it up to the receiver I get good signals from 101, 110, 119, 99 and 103 EVEN Transponders ONLY.

When I hook up my signal finder to another line coming off of the built in multi-switch I get both Even and Odd channels. Unhook the signal finder, or turn it off, and the Odd transponders go away.

Any ideas what the heck is going on here?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Check the voltage at the LNB end of the coax. Your symptom is low voltage which isnt switching the LNB from Even to Odd. Check your coax connections, for any stray wires crossing from the sheild to the center conductor, or loose connections.

3. bdisbrow

bdisbrow New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Thanks...I will try another cable tomorrow. I have a dual cable hooked up now and have tried both cables, singularly, with the same results.

4. bdisbrow

bdisbrow New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Is it possible that the low voltage on 103 is the result of a rather lengthy coax run? I am going about 125 feet. I do not have this issue with any other sats, however.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, it's possible. What type of cable are you using - is it RG6 solid copper core?

6. bdisbrow

bdisbrow New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Please excuse my ignorance. The long run cable is solid core copper but older and not RG6 as I know it. The older, thinner, cheaper cable. I have a new spool of RG6 ready to bury out to the dish but have been putting it off since it makes my back hurt digging up the old cable, especially across a stretch of road.

If I can keep teaffic off the cable I will try an above ground long run of RG6 tomorrow to see if the problem is eliminated. I appreciate the prompt replies and suggestions.

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    if you have RG59 that's almost certainly the problem. 125ft of RG6 is OK, even sometimes copper-coated steel will be OK although you should really use solid copper core RG6, but at that distance RG59 is a definite NO.

8. bdisbrow

bdisbrow New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Been working for 7 years with a round, then oval dish but I am not surprised with the new and improved hardware that it broke now.

Any thoughts about the need for additional amplification hardware?

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Amplifiers are for the signals - your problem isn't signal, it's switching voltage.

The reason DirecTV limits total cable length to 150' (and that's only using solid copper RG6; it's less with copper-clad) is not because of signal, which can easily go 300-400' without amplification, but because the DC voltage loss over the length of the cable. If the 19V sent by the receiver isn't over about 16V by the time it reaches the switch/dish, the switch will assume you want the 13V bank of transponders, and that's all you'll ever get. Once the switch sees something over 16V, it switches to the 19V bank of transponders.

RG59 at that line length creates too much line loss, preventing the switch from switching.

10. bdisbrow

bdisbrow New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I sincerely appreciate the education. I will replace the run in the morning and, hopefully, have good news to report!

Regards,
    Bill