1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing odd transponders on 2 Sats.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by water1, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1 of 17
    water1

water1 Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    All my odd transponders on 101 & 99c have 0 signal strength. Odd & even are working on 103c & 119. I am receiving Detroit HD locals but I'm not sure what transponder they are on.
    I have a slimline 5lnb split into 2 WB68 multiswitches to 10 receivers. I have verified 0 transponders on 4 of the receivers so far.
    Any thoughts on what might cause this problem?:confused:

2. Feb 4, 2009 #2 of 17
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There can be a number of things.

1) LNB
    2) Something wrong with the line/connectors feeding that specific splitter.
    3) The splitter feeding the 101/99 odds
    4) Line/connectors from above splitter to one of the switches
    5) The switch itself.

If the receivers on one of the switches works, you can rule out 1 & 2.

With some patience and attention to detail, you can swap lines around to eliminate two of the remaining 3 options.

3. Feb 5, 2009 #3 of 17
    wolfman730

wolfman730 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Just had a similar problem and it turned out to be the multiswitch.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 17
    water1

water1 Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    The problem has apparently fixed itself. All the transponders are back at their regular strengths. Thanks for the input, at least I'll know where to start if it happens again.

5. Feb 5, 2009 #5 of 17
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds like water or static got in the line somewhere.

6. Feb 6, 2009 #6 of 17
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Water, yes
    Static, doubtful

7. water1

water1 Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    I am still experiencing the loss of all odd transponders (all satellites) on the four DVR's connected to one of the two WB-68's. This occurs sporadically and lasts several hours. (Last was a week apart and lasted 6 to 8 hours.)
    I have replaced the multiswitch that was/is experiencing the problem. I have also replaced the 5lnb assembly. There are no connections exposed to environment except lnb. Four cables run directly to splitter in attic, then to two multiswitches.
    Probably not significant but I was getting reduced signal strength on port 4 of the multiswitch I replaced. Signal strength is very good on all ports of new one.
    Any more suggestions short of an exorcism?:confused:

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Dumb question "but" have you tried swapping the splitters around?

9. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    another dumb question but have you made sure that the cables from the splitters are going into the same input on both switches?

10. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    If your missing even transponders it's the cabling.

If your missing odd transponders it's the equipment.

I'm sure their may be an exception to this rule but it has guided me well for the past two years of field work.:)

11. my1423

my1423 Godfather

May 16, 2009
    Bad splitter.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sometimes even a "dumb one" can get it right. :)

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    101 and 99c come down the same cables. The odd transponders are on the cable connected to the WB68 port marked "99/101 13v". So if you are losing the odds on just one of the WB68s there are only a couple of possibilities.
    First and most likely, a cable or connector issue on the cable from the splitter to the multiswitch port 99/101 13v on the WB68 with the problem. Check this by swapping the two cables from that splitter to the WB68s at the WB68 end, see if the problem moves to the other WB68. If so that confirms a cable/connector issue. If not, swap the cables at the splitter end, if the problem moves to the W68 then it's the splitter. If swapping the cables around does not affect the problem, i.e. it stays with the first WB68, then it's a WB68 problem.

14. water1

water1 Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I have not tried swapping or replacing splitters so this will be my next step.
    The cables are going to the same input on both switches.
    I can't swap cables on the "99/101 13v" input because one is a foot long and the other is 30' long. I can however use a different cable for the 30' run which is going to the switch with the problem.
    This process will require a trip into the far recesses of the attic so it may be a while before I can get to it. Then it will take some time to see if the problem is actually fixed since it occurs only sporadically now. I'll report back at some point.

15. water1

water1 Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    I don't want to jinx myself but 2 weeks after replacing the 4 splitters I have not noticed a loss of odd transponders.:D
    I say notice, because it could happen at times that I wouldn't notice but I have a pretty good comfort level at this point.
    Thanks again for the suggestions.

16. Random Joe

Random Joe New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Thats pretty much always my experience too. Usually missing even transponders is a bad or low frequency splitter/kink in the cable. Odd transponder means check the multiswitch/miniStacker.

Right on man!

17. Grossie

Grossie New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Wanted to post a big THANKS to Matt & Random Joe. I lost all my even transponders on 101 & 99 yesterday & spent a couple of hours working to figure it out- I de-iced the dish, switched the order of my multi-switches, re-booted receivers about 50 times- nothing worked. I scheduled a service call for Thursday morning with D*, bummer to have to take a half day off work, but so be it. I found this thread today and followed the 18v cable back to my dish, found a female/female adaptor, cut it out, re-did the wires & replaced the adaptor, and VOILA, I have signal again!! Time to call & cancel my service call.

You guys rock!