1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB Blackout on Superstations???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by EvilMan, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilMan

EvilMan Guest

Right now, the baseball game on WSBK is blacked out. I don't watch much baseball, but I've never noticed a blackout before on a superstation. Is this the new norm? If so, I suspect many peopel will be dropping the supers.

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Search the threads and you'll find out exactly what's going on with WSBK's Red Sox blackouts.

To summarize: For most games, WSBK only has the rights to the game in the Boston area; NESN retains the rights where WSBK's broadcast signal doesn't reach. For those games, NESN requires that WSBK is blacked out everywhere except Boston.

For the other pro sports carried on the Supers (only Mets/WPIX and Clippers/KTLA come to mind), there is no similar broadcaster/regional sports network split coverage, so the games flow through. So far.

And if you want to talk about TBS and WGN, the version we see on Dish is classified as a cable network, not a superstation, so their games are cleared the way ESPN's games are.

3. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    I used to enjoy Mets-Dodgers and Mets-Rockies games on the Supers too, before those teams changed their local stations.
    Lets hope PIX continues to air them, and Dish (or even DirecTV, I don't care) carries them.
    Isn't the new satellite act going to kill Supers, though?

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    WPIX, WGN and TBS are not allowed to deliver a game involving the Phillies to the Phillies territory. So they get blacked out under Syndex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.