1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB Extra Innings Price Drops?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by HDJulie, Jun 12, 2011.

1. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I'm going to be helping my mother go from Comcast to DirecTV sometime before the Fall & one of the things that she wants is MLB Extra Innings. It's likely going to be late August when we do the switch & I was hoping that the season would be discounted by then. When does D* normally start dropping the price of EI? And how much do they drop it?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Around the All-Star Break. Unfortunately, it doesn't drop by 50%...More like 30-40%.

3. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    Before you continue, are there any particular teams your mother follows? The MLB blackout issue can be a real pain especially when it comes to the supposed "local teams".

Please read this article first.

Then use this tool towards the bottom of the page to figure whom your home team is and this page to see if your teams would show up on any of the RSNs, just highlight the 'Regional Sports Networks' box.

If you have further q's feel free to post.

4. HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    She's got MLB Extra Innings with Comcast right now -- it would have the same blackout rules, right -- EI is EI & blackout rules appy regardless of which provider someone is using.

The RSN's are a good idea -- I'll check those out, thanks!

I just checked out the RSN. Her home teams are the Cardinals, Reds, & Braves. Of those, she loves the Cardinals & Braves. It says that Choice Extra (the package she would get) gets the FSSO (FS South) RSN & that shows those games! Defnintely a plus.

So, how do the RSN channels work? I just tried to go to FSSOHD & it says I'm not subscribed. I have the Choice Extra package.

5. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    You have to have the Sports pack to get the other RSN Channels.

6. espnjason

Sep 30, 2008
    Perhaps you need the Sports Pack, RSN's really depend on where you live.

Reffering to the diagram posted within the first link, If You're in Arkansas you would only get the Cards, Rangers, Astros, and Royals. Thus you may need not only the Sports Pack to watch FS South, but extra innings to watch the braves.

[​IMG]

7. HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    I saw that map from your earlier link (very helpful, thanks!). My mother is in Memphis (38141). Her home teams are the Cardinals, Reds, & Braves. Therefore, those teams would all be blacked out on MLB EI, correct? Would she be able to get those games on FSSO, realizing that she needs Sports Pack to get FSSO. I called D* about it & the CSR implied that those games would still be blacked out on the FSSO channel since they are her home teams.

I think I understand -- she needs MLB EI to get any games that are not in her home market & RSN to get the games that ARE in her home market.

8. espnjason

Sep 30, 2008
    Yes, the Cards, Reds, and Braves would be blacked out on MLB EI for Memphis.

Fox Sports South (Braves) should be available with any base package for the zip code you provided. If Your Mother wants to watch the Reds on FS-Ohio or the Cardinals on FS-Midwest, she will need the Sports Pack. If she wants to watch any other unrelated games that aren't already nationally televised, she will need MLB EI.

I'm afraid the CSR is wrong on the Braves being blacked out on the RSN, she should still be able to watch the Braves on FS South without subbing to EI.

9. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I live in Memphis myself. The only team you get with the base package is the Braves (which is stupid when Cardinals are on radio in Memphis and the Braves are not, and the AAA affiliate of the Cardinals is the Memphis Redbirds, but that's besides the point). If you want Cardinals and Reds games you need the sports package. If the Braves and Cardinals are her teams I see no reason to subscribe to EI.

10. HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. The Cards & Braves are her *favorite* teams, but to her, any baseball is good baseball so she'll watch whatever games she can.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Reminds me of my mom. She loved the cardinals and the Yankees but would watch any baseball available. Get her EI and the sports pack. She will love it.

As a new customer, you may be able to get a deal on EI.

12. HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    I'm hoping we can get a deal for EI but I'm not going to count on it. I'm happy she'll be able to watch the Braves games.

13. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    Last year I did the half season EI and it was still about $130. They wouldn't come down on the price for me either when I try to reason with them that it was actually much less than half season left when it took effect. You may want to consider that too. The 2nd half won't start until about July 15th and the season ends Sept 28th this year. That's not much more than two months.
    As a comparison I called before the season started this year and got the entire package for about $140. You may just want to go ahead and subscribe now and get the extra month.

14. HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    We don't have her set up on D* yet. I'm hoping to get her install for July 5th but I won't be back at her house until the 24th to be able to call with her to get service. She's still reeling from losing her husband 2 months ago & trying to deal with insurance & SS.

15. drhart416

drhart416 Mentor

May 14, 2010
    How much was it for the whole year?

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    $209.94