1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

MLB says slingbox is Illegal

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by kevinwmsn, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Jun 1, 2007 #1 of 12
  2. Jun 1, 2007 #2 of 12
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've just about had it up to here <points to neck> with MLB.

It's no longer about the fans who love and support the sport, it's all about the
    team owners trying to squeeze every last dime out of the sport. Now they not
    only want to control where we get to see our favorite teams, but these greedy,
    filthy- rich robber-barons want to control (read limit) when the fan gets to see
    his games, if at all. Next thing, they'll be trying to stop fans from recording the
    games. The idiots might even try to keep us from watching baseball altogether.

Talk about killing the Goose that laid the Golden Egg!

I don't really need a Slingbox, but I'm tempted to buy a couple to show my
    support for the company and to stick it in the ear of the MLB.

3. Jun 1, 2007 #3 of 12
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    MLB stands for the Money Leeching Bums.

That shows you how much I watch baseball.

4. Jun 2, 2007 #4 of 12
    DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003

Thanks, Mark I was wondering what MLB was... :)

Love my slingbox! But MLB is entitled to their opinion and I'm entitled to mine-- DonLandis says the MLB is illegal. There I said it!

5. Jun 2, 2007 #5 of 12
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I always thought MLB stood for Mostly Long and Boring!:D
    I can't get excited over pro baseball any more.

6. Jun 2, 2007 #6 of 12
    Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    That settles it. I'm watching all my ML baseball games over Slingbox. Sue me.

7. Jun 2, 2007 #7 of 12
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    So they want their private business arrangement to which the public is not a party to carry the weight of law on the public. Who do they think they are -- the NAB?!!

8. Jun 3, 2007 #8 of 12
    wolfs_darkshadow

wolfs_darkshadow Mentor

Jan 22, 2007

Any More? I could never get excited about it, but I am half tempted to get a Sling Box now just for MLB games.

9. Jun 3, 2007 #9 of 12
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    With the exception of Seattle's pro football team, I've pretty much given up on pro sports. I'm not sure which is worse, owners or players. I'd much rather watch college athletics, especially basketball.

John

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I am not surprised. I expected this stance on slingbox when it came out. I was amazed that no one jumped on it up front. It does circumvent local broadcast rights.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The concept of "broadcast rights" is an anachronism past time for retirement.

If I'm in Albuquerque and happen to read my local paper online, who's hurt?
    AKAIC, I'll watch what I want, when I want and where I want. The NAB and
    their "all news is breaking news" local broadcasters can sling it in their ear!

12. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    If you are out of town, MLB wants you to pay for MLB.TV to watch the game live over the internet.

If you cannot watch it live, they want you to pay an additional charge to watch it after the game has finished.

Of course the fact that either our cable or satellite company has alread paid MLB to carry the game or we have already purchased EI to have coverage of the game doesn't come into it. MLB just wants to squeeze every cent out of us.