1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB teams television announcers

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by hoophead, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1 of 48
    hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    This year is the first time I have MLB.tv and have watched varying parts of other teams and have heard/seen their television announcers. Now, I believe a fan is the most critical of his own team announcers. So, If anyone has MLB.tv or EI tell me who you think has the better announcers.I would really be interested.
    Thank you guys in advance!

2. Jun 8, 2012 #2 of 48
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Old school here. Don't care much for today's announcers. Looking back I'd have to say Mel Allen, Phil Rizzuto, Red Barber, and Vin Scully were about the best.

3. Jun 8, 2012 #3 of 48
    hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I remember Rizzuto and, obviously, still enjoy Scully

4. Jun 8, 2012 #4 of 48
    Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    I'd have to add Ernie Harwell to that list.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #5 of 48
    hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Yes, most recently Ernie.

Either of you guys have had the opportunity to hear/see other team's television announcers or just only your own teams guys over the past few seasons? And, who are your teams you get to watch?

6. Jun 8, 2012 #6 of 48
    hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I only remember Mel Allen on This Week in Baseball

7. Jun 8, 2012 #7 of 48
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Anyone but Tim McCarver.

8. Jun 8, 2012 #8 of 48
    Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    I grew up watching Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola.

9. Jun 8, 2012 #9 of 48
    hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I thought McCarver only does network games and does not work for any team.

So, nobody so far gets to view a variety of television announcers these days??

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    John Sterling-Yankees, Howie Rose-Mets, Bob Uecker-Brewers.

11. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I cannot stand for the home team, Milwaukee, their television announcers. The play-by-play guy, Brian Anderson, came over a few years ago from being a golf announcer! He's knowledgeable and lets you know it by spewing statistics ad nauseam and making small talk with his lame brain analyst, Bill Schroedere, whose claim to fame was a catcher who had one halfway good season back in the day. They drive me nuts to the point where I will mute them and turn on some tunes on my laptop....

Checking out some other team' guys so far via mlb.tv I like Dick Enberg, now with Padres. Off course Scully. The Giants guys are very easy on the ears (Kreklow&Kuiper). The Nat's guys are good, also. Braves' announcers I could handle, too.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    +1.

And: Not a fan of Mr. Stentorian Voice, forgot his name at this moment.

13. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    They are radio announcers, the topic is TV.

I like Gary Thorn from the Orioles. I also like Dick Enberg and Vin Scully.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    +1 For Kruk and Kuip. Real homers who don't inject that (much) into the 'casts. I do wish Krukow would announce the catcher by something other than, "And, Buster Posey, in the squat for the Giants....."

Jon Miller, now National, was very good as a Giants announcer, and in fact is doing tonights Giants-Rangers game.

15. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    I really like listening to Dick Enberg for the Padres.

16. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I don't follow the AL much at all exept for the Rays (Dwayne Staats as a color guy). Thanx to hookemfins, I will check out Gary Thorn from the Orioles soon.

17. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Bob Murphy,Lindsey Nelson & Ralph Kiner of the 60s-80s NY Mets !

18. espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    Before anyone else complains about their announcers, I challenge anyone that think they could withstand the color commentator of the Diamondbacks. One would practically need patience of a saint if MLB.tv or EI is not available to them and their only baseball is whatever is on FOX or FSArizona.

Victor Rojas is coming along for the Angels, Mark Gubicza and Jose Mota are really objective for color analysts which I appreciate.

Vin Scully is beyond a legend and his storytelling abilities is unlike anything anyone has ever done and likely ever will.

Since I mainly follow the Yankees, I can cosign on John Sterling on the radio as my preference to Michael Kay on TV. All one has to do is remove the Yankee fan persona from Michael Kay to notice that he isn't much more than a (insert derogatory remark here).

19. Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation Mentor

Apr 16, 2012
    Two Words - Michael Kay

20. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Jason , you must be referring to Mark Grace out in Phoenix who teams up with Brewer castoff Daron Sutton; yes they are turble.
    Which teams do Gubicza and Mota work for?