1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modify this WISH LIST Request?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Sep 29, 2008.

SHOULD THIS WISH LIST REQUEST BE MODIFIED?

1. YES. I LIKE THE "ONLY IF WATCHED" OPTION.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO. MAKES THINGS TOO CONFUSING.

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. NO. IT CREATES OTHER ISSUES. EXPLAINED BELOW.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  4. OTHER. EXPLAINED BELOW.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Back in April, we merged a couple of Wish List requests into one:

SERIES LINK setup options: RECORD: [First Run/Repeat/Both/All with Duplicates]; RECORD THIS TIME SLOT ONLY?: [Y/N]; RECORD THIS WEEK-DAY ONLY?: [Y/N]; KEEP AT MOST: [1/2/3/4/5/10/ALL]; WHEN KEEP LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Suspend Recording]; AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: [NO/YES]

Recently, RandCfilm made an excellent suggestion, IMHO. He wondered if, like you can with UltimateTV, a show could be kept "until watched".

As a result, if folks agree, I'd like to change the AUTODELETE option of the above request to read as follows:

SERIES LINK setup options: RECORD: [First Run/Repeat/Both/All with Duplicates]; RECORD THIS TIME SLOT ONLY?: [Y/N]; RECORD THIS WEEK-DAY ONLY?: [Y/N]; KEEP AT MOST: [1/2/3/4/5/10/ALL]; WHEN LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Stop Recording]; AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: [NO/YES/YES, BUT DELETE UNWATCHED SHOWS LAST

Anyone think this might cause a problem? TIA for your votes/comments. /steve

2. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    i voted #4....could care less....or is it couldnt care less ?

3. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    Steve - I haven't voted yet, because I'm still trying to figure out exactly what this accomplishes. Can you or RandCfilm explain why you would use this.

Sometimes my impression of these wish list items is colored by "the way I use it". In this case, if the disk is full, I've screwed up. I start to twitch with about 30% free space.

In order to make that selection meaningful, we would need to have the ability to toggle the "watched" bit off. Right now, as far as we can see, watched means anything from 1 second to the complete program. I often watch part of a recording and come back later to finish, or just pop in to check if a recording looked ok based on current issues, or bad weather. But I haven't really watched it. So the ability to toggle the watched bit off would be critical to this option.

Bottom line, I don't think I would ever use that choice, but I would like to understand how it could be helpfull.

On the other hand, if it won't impact my use in a negative way, any attention to that wish list item is near and dear to my heart. :D

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In my mind, it's just a way of prioritizing which shows get deleted when you've told the HR to "autodelete when disk full". Normally, shows are selected for deletion on a FIFO basis. I.e., the oldest recording will be the first to go, regardless of whether or not it was watched.

With this suggestion, I assume the HR will only delete a show that is watched. Unwatched shows will be treated as if "Autodelete when disk full" was set to "no".

Your question makes me wonder if there shouldn't be another option... "Delete watched shows first", so unwatched shows are only deleted as a last resort. Hmmm. What the heck. I added it. :)

/steve

5. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    The issue is then when is the show watched. I have many times selected a show in the playlist and immediately paused it to do something. One thing leads to another and I decide not to watch it. As far as the DVR is concerned it's watched, but I have not seen any of the show.

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I just don't care - if I watch a show, I delete it, so it does nothing for me. I also don't use a dvr as a long-term storage device. If I don't get around to watching something by the time the disk fills up, then I probably wasn't going to watch it anyway.

7. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I'd prefer to have a multi-tiered order of precedence for deletions. While I record ALOT of shows they are not all equally important to me and I'd like to choose what order things get deleted if necessary.

Delete 1st
    Delete 2nd
    Delete 3rd
    Delete 4th
    Delete last

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ditto. I've also never had a "full" DVR in 8 years of usage (probably because I have multiple units with upgraded HD's). I voted No, just because it might be confusing to some folks.

9. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I've got 1tb drives and have seen the yellow exclaimation mark a few times. I think the closest I've come is about 6% free. I cleaned up the recordings myself becasue there is not enough control to trust the DVR to do it the way I want.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I like it. :)

Mike

11. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I agree. I may have watched it, but my wife may not have, though to the DVR, it is watched...

And, I think this is adding even more complexity that the less technically inclined user will be confused by.

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    But if you're in a 2 or more viewer household, seems to me you just wouldn't select it. What if the list was rearranged this way, with "NO" as the default selection?

AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL:
    • NO
    • YES
    • YES, BUT ONLY IF WATCHED
    • YES, BUT DELETE WATCHED FIRST
    /steve

13. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I liked the original wish list item the way it was, with one caveat: The wording WHEN LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Stop Recording] has bothered me.

Might I suggest:
    WHEN KEEP LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Suspend Recording]

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    That makes it clearer. Thx. /steve

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I rarely keep anything I watched already. I am just happy to be able to free up some space. But if I do not finish a program it appears watched and I would not want that to be deleted.

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    So you're a fan of the default selection: AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL: NO

No arguments here. Probably where I'd keep it too, since we're a multi-viewer houshold. :)

/steve

17. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm unclear how the new option "Delete watched shows first" would work in this context. Is this saying that it would modify FIFO order with watched shows? If so, isn't it more appropriate at the "system" level that would affect all shows? or am I thinking wrong? Here's what I think we are saying with each option:

No - Sets the K flag
    Yes - Does not set the K flag
    Only if Watched - Sets the K flag, which gets removed when watched

Each of these maintains the FIFO order of deleting, but adds or removes the show from consideration by setting or clearing the K flag.

Delete watched shows first - It doesn't seem to make sense to me that you can modify the order for only some shows or SL's. I'm thinking that what you want is to delete watched shows w/o the K flag in FIFO order, then if more space is needed watched shows w/o the K flag in FIFO order. Shows with the K flag should never be deleted for space.

If this isn't what's meant by "Delete watched shows first," could someone give me a better explanation.

Thanks!

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm kind of confused by your explanation, but I think we're on the same page.

I imagine "DELETE ONLY IF WATCHED" to mean that no unwatched shows would be deleted.

"WATCHED SHOWS FIRST" is intended to mean that while all shows are available for deletion, try to leave any unwatched shows on the disk as long as possible. Maybe it can be worded better?

I wouldn't try to apply KEEP flag logic to this, because there needs to be different types of KEEP flags. E.g., a show that is flagged KEEP via the BLUE BUTTON currently never gets deleted under ANY circumstances (which I agree with), but right now sports the same BLUE circle in the PLAYLIST as a SL KEEP show does. DirecTV should come up with a different tagging scheme, IMHO.

/steve

19. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    In that case, I defer to the other comment in my reply...

Though I didn't realize that the 'watched' language had already entered into the request. Assuming it remains, your list above seems to be good, but how are the last two items different?

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Maybe someone can come up with better language than mine, to make it crystal clear what each choice will do? /steve