1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Modulater

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by westview, Sep 24, 2013.

1. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    If I go to Genie will I still be able to use my channel 14 modulater? I use it to get Direct in the basement and bedroom. I could do away with it in the bedroom, but not the basement. Also I want the local extra channels off the antenna in my bedroom. Can I use the same wire to do this? Thanks for any help.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, you can use a MOD with the Genie. In order to get OTA with the Genie, you would need the AM21 OTA accessory tuner available from DirecTV for $50.00

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    You can combine your modulator with your TV antenna feed to the basement TV. Depending on the actual channel assignments in your area, you may have to adjust your modulator to a different channel. I generally use channels in the 60s in my area.

antenna feed ------>
    [high frequency splitter]-------> line to TV
    modulator feed----->

(yes, the splitter is wired backwards)

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Contrary to gov's suggestion, I would avoid using channels 52 and above as they could be be auctioned for other non-TV uses much as channels 70-83 were auctioned off thirty years ago. Channels 14-19 are a bad choice in heavily populated areas as those channels are sometimes used for two-way radio communications.

You would need two splitters at the AM21 to pull this off: One to split the OTA antenna signal between the AM21 and the distribution system and one to combine the modulator output with the output of the first splitter opposite the AM21.
    GenieMod.jpg

Note that you CANNOT use diplexers with a Genie. Your distribution cabling must be completely separate from your satellite cabling.

Note also that down the road, how DIRECTV treats protected content on the analog outputs could change and this approach may or may not work with protected content.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And the bigger issue Is what outputs are you modulating off of? Component or composite? What box are you doing this with right now?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    And is there no longer an issue when using SD and HD at the same time, something about the GUI not showing on the SD version?

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And is there no longer an issue when using SD and HD at the same time, something about the GUI not showing on the SD version?

There's that issue plus the issue if he's running hdmi and the hdmi connected tv isn't in it will lock up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk