1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modulating with SWM and D12-300?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jimstolz76, Dec 27, 2008.

1. jimstolz76

jimstolz76 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Hello all!

Forgive me if this has been asked - I searched around a bit and didn't find anything.

Just for the heck of it, I'm trying to modulate a signal on channel 3 onto the same RG-6 as my MBR D12-300. I've got a single LNB dish, 4 port multiswitch, and am using JVI 35SDX100 diplexers. (power passing on one leg, 40-2150 Mhz)

I can get the modulated signal to work fine, but it seems to block the satellite signal to the D12. Any idea what would cause this?

If I can't get it to work it's no big deal, but I'd like to understand what it is that isn't working. Attached is a little schematic of what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    You are trying to modulate the Xbox?

Could be the diplexers are leaking onto the satellite line.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Perhaps the diplexers won't pass the 2.3 MHz control signal which is sent from the receiver to the SWM.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Please clarify. Things just don't add up.

Are you sure that you have a swm setup?
    A swm setup won't have a multiswitch, unless it's an external one.
    A single (dual) lnb isn't a swm system.

5. jimstolz76

jimstolz76 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm modulating the Xbox. Like I said, just for the hell of it. :)

I have a single LNB dish with one rg-6 going to a 4 port multiswitch outside. Inside I have an HR21 with a single rg-6 that feeds both tuners. I have a power injector on the line with the HR21. One more rg-6 goes to the D12-300.

The 2.3 Mhz control signal would make sense to me. I'll have to look around for some different diplexers.

FYI - I've worked in the LV world for the past 13 years (cable tech, security, MDU, now home theater/structured wiring/card access/cctv/distributed audio/video/control systems/programming/etc...), but haven't stayed up to date with sat technology as well as I should. I've left it up to the Directv people, but I'd really like to regain a working knowledge of these things. Forgive me if I leave out crucial info or don't understand an acronym... :)

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm pretty sure that you'll find that all diplexers are going to whack everything below 950MHz.

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Good ones leave a certain part of the lower spectrum untouched and do work with the SWM.

I use Holland DPD2 Diplexers with my SWM setup and they work fine.

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=785

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  9. jimstolz76

jimstolz76 Cool Member

Dec 27, 2008

It looks like that specs out the same as the ones I'm using. I guess for $1.99 I can give them a shot, though. :)

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    BUT, if you look on the specs it only rejects 40-806 on the satellite side. So 2.3mhz should be unaffected as there is a large buffer zone between 2.3 and 40 even if the diplexer "leaks" a bit of interference and is not perfectly within spec.

If you notice the STVC for example rejects 5-806 on the satellite band so with just a little "leakage" it could easily disrupt the 2.3mhz band and most likely does.

I did a lot of research before purchasing and that seemed to be the main thing in common between ones that worked (rejected ~40-806) and ones that didnt (rejected ~5-806) with the SWM modules. Still it is no guarantee. The best guarantee seems to be to use the Channel Master set (1x http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=CM4002IFD and 1x http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=CM4001IFD) but it is quite a bit more expensive.

11. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...