1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moms pay $1,000-a-day to hire disabled members to skip lines at Disney

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, May 14, 2013.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Fox News:

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    As a disabled person who went to Disneyland and skipped the lines, this is so funny to me and I wish I'd thought of this. Heck, I'd do it for half the cost.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I don't understand the reasoning in the jump ahead in the line, unless handling the handicap equipment somehow slows the line for everyone.

4. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    For one, the lines can be difficult to navigate through since they are very winding. Second, some of us need easy access to bathrooms or medical needs; being in a 2-3 hour line and getting out isn't easy.
    Anyone who's not disabled & can afford it can also bypass lines. The official Disney VIP Tour includes guides and premium fast passes for between $300 and $400 per hour.

5. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I understand there may be a need to accomodate someone who is handicap through a special entrance, etc. but to allow their entire party to skip the line is not fair. Personally, I believe the rest of the party should have to wait in the traditional line while the disabled individual and maybe one other person enters through a special entrance and waits for their party to join them. We are Universal this past weekend and that was the way it appeared they operated.

I am going to hate to admit this but I know someone who uses this ploy to cut lines. The individual is not handicap (except in the head) but when it comes time for Disney, they bundle one of the kids legs in an ace bandage and puts them in a borrowed chair for the day. They just tell the folks at Disney the kid sprained their ankle..

6. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's pretty sick they fake it. Your idea seems reasonable, but what about when more disabled people begin waiting? The park has to have a waiting area for waiting on the line. I wonder if the rule likely cam for Make-A-Wish type kids; I don't think anyone would want a kid dealing with a life threatening illness to wait.

7. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I agree it's terrible someone would fake it but this happens all the time in our world. How many times have you seen a perfectly healthy person get out of a car with a handicap plate parked in a handicap spot? or a man get out of a car in a parking spot reserved for expectant mothers? or someone parking their Canyon Aero in a spot meant for a 'compact'.
    I don't think there are all that many disabled people going to the park and wanting to ride the same ride at the same time that it would make this an issue (not to mention this probably would reduce the number of people abusing the system as well).

1 person likes this.
  8. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    last time i went to disney with friends, they were able to go to the front of most lines because i am in a wheelchair.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well there are times we have to be careful. Someone can look perfectly healthy at first look, but could have legitimate reasons, not just someone taking advantage of driving the spouses car. I admit the spots for expectant mothers bugged me a bit at the grocery store, but there were things that annoyed me more there, they also charged a deposit to use a cart. Though the expectant mothers had to pay as well.

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I know a lot of people are irked by the sight of vacant, reserved parking spots, but you should remember that if they were not reserved, they would not be vacant, and so the only benefit you would get from that is that the spot you get at the rear of the lot would tend to be one spot closer

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True. In my case, I think part of it was I think they went overboard. They had as many expectant mother spots as disabled, then adding "reserved for employee of the month", pharmacy pickup only etc etc, just seemed like a lot of reserved spots.

I saw one store recently with spots reserved for veterans, hadn't seen that before.

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    "Back in the day", Disney used to allow the handicapped person to wait in another area while the able-bodied person went through the regular line.

Obviously things have changed.

13. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I have a "funny" story kind of along these lines. My wife and I were going on a cruise and we stayed the night before in a hotel. On the way to breakfast walking from our room to the dinning room I held a door open for my wife and there was another woman right behind us, being the gentleman I let her go as well. Anyway my wife and I are casually walking towards the dinning room this woman who is very large is obviously knocking herself out panting trying her damndest to stay ahead of us and get to breakfast before we do, honestly I was in no hurry so I just slowed down and let her go. Well we get to the dinning room and waiting at the little sign that says please wait to be seated. At this point this woman turns around and yells in the most annoying gravelly/screachy voice you can imagine, "Hey guys come on I got us a spot" and at which point about 6 other people move up the line and join her and then all these people are ahead of us in the buffett line. Lest to say at that point I was a little annoyed. In any case it turned out this woman and her party were on the same cruise we were and every so often I'd see and/or hear her running around the ship, luckily we never had any other real close interaction with her as she seemed like a rather unpleasant person. Anyway fast foward to debarkation morning. While slowly moving along in the line that gets us off the ship I start hearing screamning and yelling and carrying-on and I recognize THAT voice, the whole chalkboard/fingernail thing in full effect. It turns out this woman is sitting in a wheelchair by the exit, now mind you I had never seen her in a wheel chair ever the whole time, sure she was overweight but she seemed to be able to get around and fairly quickly for someone her size at times. I mean I suppose it's possible she twisted an ankle or a knee or something while on board, didn't see any kind of wrap or cast but hey you never know. In any case it turns out she was using the wheel chair to debark, you get to skip to the front of the line and use the elevator if you're in a wheelchair you see. Well at this moment the elevator was out of service and they were trying to fix it and apparently this woman thought if she yelled and screamed long enough and berated the poor cruise employee that somehow that elevator would get fixed faster. She kept insisting that she be let go NOW and they better figure out how they were going to get her off this ship NOW! On one hand I did feel sorry for her for obviously she wasn't a very happy person on the other hand I couldn't help but think that maybe karma was handing out a little justice as we walked off the ship ahead of her while she continued to sit there and spew venom at all who would listen.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That would segregate the disable individual for hours from the rest of their party.

I'm surprise, as a high tech establishment, they haven't worked out a simple take-a-ticket reservation system of some type with estimate time of when you'll be call. This would allow their customers to spend money elsewhere instead of being stuck on a line.

15. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    +1000 Disney has lost me as a customer for exactly that reason. First off I hate waiting in lines in general, unless it is something I must do i will either come back or go elsewhere. Second, if I am spending a day at an amusement park I want to spend most of it doing something fun, not waiting in line 2 hours for a 5 minute ride

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    ????

First, the handicap people and their party move to the head of the line (and often a separate entrance) so no long waits or time spent away from each other.

For others, most of Disney's rides have a system call Fast Pass. You swipe your park pass and get a ticket for that ride with a specific one hour time frame to return. No extra charge. At Orlando's Universal Studios, you can buy a similar ticket that gets you to the head of the line in most rides.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps a "healing" would have helped ... get out of her chair and walk! Either she was committed to the lie or perhaps she was injured at some point barging her way around the ship.

If she really needed off the ship that quickly they could have let her go for a swim. :D

1 person likes this.
  18. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    They have, several years ago, Fast Pass.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And FastPass+ is being tested:

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    "Back in the day", you didn't have a 2-hour wait for ANY ride. Like trh says, they're now implementing FastPass+ and "MyMagic" (if I remember the name correctly) wristbands that will allow you to have an itinerary of "must do" rides and simply wave your RFID wristband at the 'turnstyle' and, presto, you're in. They'll also *optionally* have other information in that wristband that will allow things like having the characters address your kid by name, customized feature responses on rides, etc.

The "itinerary" part was something my friend has been waiting for before he sets foot back in a Disney park.